Innovative Marine Aquariums

Weirdest reef safe fish for 55 gallon?

RoyalGramma001

RoyalGramma001

Hey everyone,

i have always liked fish that look strange or have weird behaviors what are some fish that would work for a 55 gallon reef?

HockeyDrumsFish

The new GaryBusey Wrasse is pretty weird!  🙂

Seriously though, I've always found the tassled filefish to be one of the weirder fish out there but they are hit or miss as far as 'reef safe'.  And then you've also got the Cubicus Boxfish but we know about them...

I'm a big fan of a full size engineer goby.  Looks like an eel but it's a goby - and very active!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 11:49 PM, RoyalGramma001 said:

Hey everyone,

i have always liked fish that look strange or have weird behaviors what are some fish that would work for a 55 gallon reef?

Do you want to keep other fish with them? I'm liking a variety of Predators at the moment. Fu Manchu Lion Fish, Leaf Fish, Scorpinos

RoyalGramma001
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Do you want to keep other fish with them? I'm liking a variety of Predators at the moment. Fu Manchu Lion Fish, Leaf Fish, Scorpinos

Yes I would like to keep other fish with them.

42 minutes ago, William said:

What’s your definition of weird? 

Fish that look weird or have weird behaviors

RoyalGramma001
9 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Hawkfish? Waspfish?

Would love to see someone do a Sea Goblin or Ghoulfish tank 

Sounds interesting are they well behaved with smaller fish by any chance

2 minutes ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

Sounds interesting are they well behaved with smaller fish by any chance

The Hawkfish isn't with tiny fish and shrimp, the Red Rooster Waspfish seems to be okay with what I have read about on other threads. But venomous and a predator so whatever fits in the mouth is likely to be eaten

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

White spotted Pygmy filefish from ORA is my favorite little oddball.  They grasp onto rocks with their mouth when sleeping, super silly.  I’ve only owned one when I was a complete novice so while it’s is said to be reef safe, I wouldnt have known the difference then.

• Haha 1