Top Shelf Aquatics

10 gallon stocking - 2 or 3 fish - help me choose

Jakesaw

Currently FOWLR ( later to have some reefy to it when I add light and a couple beginner corals ) with 10 lb Rock 

Tank is about a 5 weeks old with clpwnin there for a month. Filtratoin is just rock and HOB filter with sponge.  I have Koralia 1 from about a decade ago and I do weeklly water changes 10-15 percent and squeeze sponge. in old water.

Center feeding fish would help my tank with food debris as my clown only feeds on food within the top 2 inches.  Beyond that he has no interest in chasing it.  Just waits up top tiL I give him a bit more. 

My stock is

1 Mai Tai clownfish ( small one )

1 red scarlett hermit

I'd like to add another fish and I'm beetween these two

Yellow Clown goby

Firefish

I go back and forth between the two. clown Goby has awesome color and seems like he'd have a cool quirky personality.  And the firefish could give my bottom area of tank some much needed swimming in front.  I have a cave that hasn't had 1 swim through yet.  

If I got both I think I'd go firefish first and goby 2nd.  But not sure if 3 fish is doable in a 10 gallon.  These would be the only fish I'd be getting for this tank. 

I was planning on having 2 fish total, but if I could get these 3 I'd be quite happy with all of the personalities.

Feel free to comment on either fish or if having 3 would be too many in 10 gal. 

Thanks

You could do both but I’d recommend a lid if you don’t already have one. Fire fish have a long history of jumping out of tanks. 

id also get rid of the sponge and switch to disposable media like floss or blue pad. Something like that. That sponge will become a nutrient factory. Even with the rinsing. Floss is cheap and readily available.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Jungle_v_i_p said:

id also get rid of the sponge and switch to disposable media like floss or blue pad. Something like that. That sponge will become a nutrient factory. Even with the rinsing. Floss is cheap and readily available.

I was surprised when I rinsed sponge this weekend, The green sponge already had quite  a bit of brown hue to it in 2 weeks of use. I rinsed it excessively because of that - you might be onto something there.

Every tank is different but you should have to replace it every 1-5 days. Typically. Twice a week is avg. i change mine 2-3 times a week. I went though a short period of every day replacement with my system. Also make sure you turn the filter off when feeding. That will allow your media to last longer. If you don’t already that is. May need to get some filter media bags so the fibers don’t get caught inside your impeller but maybe not. I put mine on top of my charcoal bag so I don’t worry about it. 

I really loved my firefish, it was a little nervous and if you moved too quick it would dart into a little cave, but it was an active feeder and It was really visually pretty and it would interact well with my clown. I think they're not quite as hardy as a yellow clown goby though and I suggest you quarantine either of them if you choose to add a second fish as clown gobies have a habit of being susceptible to ich from what I've seen. 5 weeks is a little early to add more but that might just be me. I'd stick with no more than 2 smallish fish.

Firefish has moved down the list a bit as they don't swim ( around tank ) as much as I'd like.  I was attracted to hearty fish that swam in lower part of tank.  Clown goby is sitll a possibility but longer term I've seen a few Royal Grammas and really like their color / personality.  Probably number 2 interesting fish after Wrasses for me.  

Looking at Beginner fish list for 10 gal, I see Royal Gramma mentioned in there.  

L:ive Aquaria has them listed at 30 gal minimum - and was on my to buy list for future 29 ( maybe 20 gallon ) build this summer where I can give him a bigger home.  .

Would it be crazy if I can find a baby Royal Gramma to put him in a 10 gallon with Clownfish - knowing I am doing a 20 or 29 gallon tank this summer.  I'd probably wait another month or two to let my tank mature before adding him.

I'd be satisfied with both those 2 fish for the long term in a 10 gallon if it came to that  No desrie to add a 3rd fish to that tank. 

Thanks

@Jungle_v_i_p

That's the guide I read to get the idea that a Royal Gramma was an ok consideration  Seemed to go against the grain from what I've seen elsewhere.

Has anybody actually had on in a 10 gallon?  With a clownfish? 

That would be a nice combo if it's a dooable pair in such a small tank.

I’ve seen it a few times but I think people have had trouble with grammas in smaller tanks being aggressive. If it were me I’d add them together so neither of them have a chance to establish territory before hand. I was actually going to do the same combo with two clowns but swayed from it because I don’t want to upset them or increase my waste load more than it is.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd try to be content with the fish you have since 10 gallons is a really small tank.  Especially considering you apparently have plans for a larger tank.  No need to crowd this one up.  Crowding just leads to more stress in the tank.

• Like 1
On 3/4/2021 at 3:02 PM, Jungle_v_i_p said:

I’ve seen it a few times but I think people have had trouble with grammas in smaller tanks being aggressive. 

Found a LFS with 2 baby RG's and picked one up.  After a day of hiding it's looking promising.  The RG and clown interact as they share the same favorite rock.  One above, one below.  

The Royal gramma

Day 1 - hid all day,

Day 2 - hid most of the day but came to smell of food.  Didn't eat much and hid when I turned power heads  back on

Day 3 - Ate like a pig.  When he was full kept eating spitting it out and eating it again til the clown ate what he spit out... lol

Day 4 - poked out early in morning then hid, and around 5 pm came out for rest of day.  Healthy appetite again. He's liking his new home I think.

He's dug a small hole in sand under rock so he can come and go 2 small rock caves from either side. Will definitely have to get him a larger tank as he grows and consider his habits in the rock layout. 

Cool fish so far.  Great colors

• Like 3