Cultivated Reef

Problem with Clowns

Norma-Jane Maxwell

Norma-Jane Maxwell

My tank is 6 months old.  I started with 2 common Clowns to cycle, but they are also my favourite fish ( I had a nano tank 25 yrs ago when you cycled with a damsel), so I was happy to start with them!

After two months we added a Midas Blenny, the reef shop we got it from said it was very peaceful and would exist well with the clowns.  Pretty much from day 1 the Midas took over the live rock area of the tank, pushing the Clowns to the back left at all times except feeding.

For the last fish we added a Yellow tail damsel, again checking to make sure that everyone could live together.  
the Midas dominated the Damsel, and kept it to small areas of the live rock, always trying to minimize the amount of rock it got to have as space.

About 3 weeks ago the Midas got stuck between two rocks, by the time I found him he was gone.

Within the week the The Clowns started to come out a bit, but the Damsel took over right where the Midas left off!

I set this tank up too have Clowns and now they are relegated to the very back of the tank and are not swimming at all.  The Damsel seems to be standing guard in the live rock, nobody is happy.

Any suggestions....

2 minutes ago, Norma-Jane Maxwell said:

My tank is 6 months old.  I started with 2 common Clowns to cycle, but they are also my favourite fish ( I had a nano tank 25 yrs ago when you cycled with a damsel), so I was happy to start with them!

After two months we added a Midas Blenny, the reef shop we got it from said it was very peaceful and would exist well with the clowns.  Pretty much from day 1 the Midas took over the live rock area of the tank, pushing the Clowns to the back left at all times except feeding.

For the last fish we added a Yellow tail damsel, again checking to make sure that everyone could live together.  
the Midas dominated the Damsel, and kept it to small areas of the live rock, always trying to minimize the amount of rock it got to have as space.

About 3 weeks ago the Midas got stuck between two rocks, by the time I found him he was gone.

Within the week the The Clowns started to come out a bit, but the Damsel took over right where the Midas left off!

I set this tank up too have Clowns and now they are relegated to the very back of the tank and are not swimming at all.  The Damsel seems to be standing guard in the live rock, nobody is happy.

Any suggestions....

Get rid of the Damsel...... easy peasy. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

What size tank is this?  Sounds like a wicked-bad start...worse if that was in a small tank.

What happened that the Midas ended up stuck?  Not usually a problem – they're master cavers.

How were ammonia levels after each round of fish were added?

FYI, right now your fish have all, aside from he Midas getting stuck, done what was completely predictable for them.  

Blennies have to be tough for the same reasons that Damsels have to be.  

Clownfish are in the same group as Damsefishes, only they have the habit of staying in compact spaces (eg a coral or anemone).  

So...  

Yellowtails are probably the meekest Damselfish – they operate on a retreat-to-cover basis, not an aggression basis (like a three-stripe Damsel might) – that's why he got dominated by the Midas.  I'm guessing the Midas was probably also bigger.

It's possible that if you rearrange your rock work that the damsel and clowns will pick better locations for your viewing.  There's no reason they shouldn't get along if the tank is big enough.  (30 gallons would be a nice minimum.)

• 2 weeks later...
Norma-Jane Maxwell

Tank is a 32 bio cube.  I caught the Damsel about a week ago, I have no idea what happened to the Midas.  I came home from work, he always was at the front looking for me.  I searched everywhere and could not find him.  He had a habit of getting into the back of the bio tank, but I had purchased the fish guard and installed it so I could not figure it out.

when he was upset, he darkened considerably so when I did finally find him, he was gone...

Update on the Clowns.  They who’ve been anxious since removing the Damsel (unfortunately it was very difficult).  Right now I am keeping things as low key as possible while they start to relax.

They are still at the top of the tank, but have relaxed some since last week.

Any ideas on how long it might take them to ,ove down to the rocks?