Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lazer Lemon Zoas closed for a week

DevilDuck

I have a frag plug of zoas that have been in the tank for 2 months. Suddenly last week they stopped opening. There are 3 other zoa frags nearby that are acting normally.

Parameters:

Tested on 02/21/2021

alk: 7.2 dkh

cal: 400 ppm

mg: 1500 ppm

salinity: 1.025 sg

I've tried the following:

• Moving to lower flow / low light area
  • 5 min dip in iodine
  • 10 min dip in Revive (twice)
  • 3 min freshwater dip
  • 2-min dip in hydrogen peroxide
  • Moving to high flow location

No obvious pests came out from the Revive and freshwater dips, just copepods. I don't see any signs of Zoa Pox.

20210226_115525.thumb.jpg.b2255c542d1e193ec7417c77e02486c5.jpg 

Any suggestions?

Christopher Marks
12 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

Any suggestions?

Move to a higher flow area, then leave them alone for a full week and see how they do. They can be fussy at times, but you've certainly ruled out pests at this point. I would let it rest and see if they open up after all that.

• Like 2
On 2/26/2021 at 1:10 PM, DevilDuck said:

Tested on 02/21/2021

alk: 7.2 dkh

cal: 400 ppm

mg: 1500 ppm

salinity: 1.025 sg

Mg is very high and alk is very low considering the s.g. you have posted.  Is this normal?  (Is it how the salt mixes up?)

What are your NO3 and PO4 levels?

On 2/26/2021 at 1:10 PM, DevilDuck said:
  • Moving to lower flow / low light area
  • 5 min dip in iodine
  • 10 min dip in Revive (twice)
  • 3 min freshwater dip
  • 2-min dip in hydrogen peroxide
  • Moving to high flow location

Unless there's something obviously wrong with the location, moving a coral is usually more stress than help....so I don't think any of that probably helped.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Mg is very high and alk is very low considering the s.g. you have posted.  Is this normal?  (Is it how the salt mixes up?)

What are your NO3 and PO4 levels?

@mcarroll I've been struggling with these levels. I use Fritz RPM which per the box mixes up with the following params:

Salinity: 35 ppt (1.0264 sg)

Calcium: 400-450 ppm

Magnesium: 1300-1400 ppm

Alkalinity: 8.0-9.0 dKH

Strontium: 9 ppm

Potassium: 400 ppm

I do about 15-20 percent water changes weekly and been dosing All-For-Reef to increase the alkalinity, ideally I want to maintain about 8dKH. 

For some reason the alkalinity is dropping faster than Cal and much faster than Mg. I lose about 0.2 dKH a day in alkalinity.

My NO3 is between 5 and 10 ppm, PO4 is about .07 ppm.

Unless there's something obviously wrong with the location, moving a coral is usually more stress than help....so I don't think any of that probably helped.

10 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

I use Fritz RPM which per the box mixes up with the following params:

Salinity: 35 ppt (1.0264 sg)

Calcium: 400-450 ppm

Magnesium: 1300-1400 ppm

Alkalinity: 8.0-9.0 dKH

Strontium: 9 ppm

Potassium: 400 ppm

Have you verified these numbers on a batch that you've mixed?  If not, I'd do that at least once.  

Also seems like they spec a relatively high s.g. in order to achieve those numbers....so would be interesting to see what you get at your tank's s.g. (assuming it's different).

10 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

been dosing All-For-Reef to increase the alkalinity, ideally I want to maintain about 8dKH. 

For some reason the alkalinity is dropping faster than Cal and much faster than Mg. I lose about 0.2 dKH a day in alkalinity.

Seems like this isn't working correctly for some reason then – IMO you'll have to switch gears and use an alternative until you get that figured out.  You should switch sooner than later IMO.

Seems like both items could be a problem.

Also, like I think Christopher said earlier, zoa's are just moody....my least favorite coral for that reason.  Nothing with your numbers is *that wrong* (yet) but possibly off enough to put your newest addition into "a mood".  

IMO, work out the minor discrepancies above and ignore the Zoa's.  I bet they're perked up by the time your water is sorted out.  👍

• Like 1