Top Shelf Aquatics

Starter Fish

Ollieo83

Does any one have any ideas for a good starter fish? I am looking at a blue green chromis because my LFS says that for a first time marine aquarist I need to purchase a cheap fish, but one that is relatively hardy, thus he recommended the Blue Green Chromis $5.

Damsels are hardier than Chromis, IMO. Plus, I don't care what anyone else says, Damsels are expendable. Chromis are awesome fish, especially when you have a school of them. I'd suggest cycling your tank with a Damsel and then trade him in for some Chromis.

I agree with everything above, but will offer this in addition.. If you plan on "keeping" your starter fish, then you should consider carefully what you plan on having later on. A blue-green chromis is a very community oriented fish and doesnt get bothered much by others. Damsels, as nice as they are can be a bit more aggressive (medium aggressive) and can tend to harrass other fish, like goby or pseudochromis. So if you want to keep the starter fish, maybe the Chromis is a good idea. But if you like the color and active behavior of damsels, they are a good choice. Either way, these fish are not expensive.

Archived