Coral Vue Hydros

Droopy frogspawn?

jarviz

I got this frogspawn a few days ago and it's been opening up fully with no issues since day 1. However i noticed that it's definitely on the droopy side. It was kind of like  this in the shop too but i just thought it was a flow issue then. But regardless of the amount of flow/placement in my tank, it kind of stays droopy, and never really "fills" itself out. 

Is this a different species or is something else going on here? 

20210208_104255.jpg

i thought they naturally puff up like cotton candy.. the torch coral  only a couple of inches is looking like what's supposed to. I put it in a more direct flow, and the "droopy" tentacles kind of just go with the flow more, but still doesn't have that free floating look. 

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, ausram said:

Mine have looked like this when my magnesium levels were low. Could try dosing a little and seeing if there’s any improvement 

I don't even have a Mg test yet lol... all my other LPS's in the tank are fully happy. the regular frogspawn i have in the tank next to it is fully open. So i don't think it's a chemistry thing. The tentacles are also much "thinner" and doesn't have those little "bulbs" throughout the tentacle except at the end. I'm starting to think it's more of a frogspawn/torch hybrid than an actual frogspawn. 

• Like 1

I have a few colonies and when I turn off the pumps in my tank they droop....not sure if that is the way it is supposed to work or not, but that is how it works in my tank.  Once I turn the pumps back on, they start going with the flow again....they seem to be healthy otherwise, typically always are puffed up and growing new heads all the time.

Water test results would help.  Please include phosphates and nitrates...and everything else you have. 

In the pic is looks like there's no flow, but otherwise the coral looks happy enough.  Hopefully it has better flow when the camera isn't on him.  😉