Coral Vue Hydros

LED Lighting for a 10G Cube?

Zer0

Hello all, I'm trying to find the right lighting solution for a 10G cube, specifically the JBJ RL-10 aquarium.

I've been looking at the AI Prime 16 HD, AI Prime 16 SOL, and the RedSea ReefLED 50, but I'm not entirely sure what comes with those fixtures. Are there any additional things that need to be purchased into to operate those fixtures, like ballasts or controls, or is it just the fixture and that's it? Also, do you think these fixtures will be too powerful for such a small nano tank? I see they are rated for a 24x24 spread. I'm not sure where to look these days for small light solutions, I've been away from reefing for quite a while.

I'm also open to any suggestions for light solutions for this tank, even DIY options.

Thanks!

An AI prime HD is good. You need the light and the mount. I don't know if it comes with a mount in the box (I bought mine from a buddy and he already had a mount). Other than that, you don't need anything else. You control it through an app on your phone. 

An AI prime HD will do anything you want on a 10G cube. If you wanted all sps, it's more than enough. If you wanted softies, just turn the intensity levels way down. 

• Like 1
RoyalGramma001
23 minutes ago, paulsz said:

An AI prime HD is good. You need the light and the mount. I don't know if it comes with a mount in the box (I bought mine from a buddy and he already had a mount). Other than that, you don't need anything else. You control it through an app on your phone. 

An AI prime HD will do anything you want on a 10G cube. If you wanted all sps, it's more than enough. If you wanted softies, just turn the intensity levels way down. 

I believe if it does not come with the mounting kit the hydra doesn't either ai sells separately 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, paulsz said:

Do you have the ability to change the color temperature with the Primed HD? I prefer my lights a bit more in the white spectrum, somewhere around 14k-15k. 

RoyalGramma001
30 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

Do you have the ability to change the color temperature with the Primed HD? I prefer my lights a bit more in the white spectrum, somewhere around 14k-15k. 

I'm assuming for the price but you should do your own research

There's channels (UV, violet, blue, deep Blue, green, red, cool white) that you adjust to your liking. Although you'll probably mostly turn up the blues for corals and white for your viewing pleasure

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Zer0 said:

You can control individual channels and can also set lights by color temperature

• Like 1

I have 2 AI Prime 16 HDs over my 12g long. I like them, but I don't use the red or green channels because they have too much of a disco-ball effect. They are silent up to about 35w for me, but then quickly get very loud.

• Like 1
Pop Alexandra
On 2/8/2021 at 12:37 AM, MrP said:

Another good option would be the Maxspect Jump L165. It comes with a mount and can be tuned to any color spectrum.

I also used it for a couple of years with no issues.

Alexandra from lighting solutions

On 2/7/2021 at 4:37 PM, MrP said:

Another good option would be the Maxspect Jump L165. It comes with a mount and can be tuned to any color spectrum.

That's an interesting light.  The Youtube videos seem positive, but no reviews on Amazon or BRS.  Is there any reason why you don't think they were selling / reviews?  With the stand included and  controllable software, seems like a decent entry point. 

What are the negatives if you can think of any.  AI Prime / Kessil 160 seem to be the primary competitors at price point and you have to buy stands separately for those 2. 

Kessil -seems to be tuned to grow coral

AI Prime = you have downloadable profiles that have track record for coral growth.

Maxpect ... ?

Thanks

16 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Is there any reason why you don't think they were selling / reviews?

No reason.  (Or lack of promotional effort, if you want to count that.)

All of these lights being mentioned are Johnny-Come-Latelies.....as such they are all copying the same basic spectrum that's been established for quite a few years by now, as well as they can.  (Something like 20,000K is possible by all of them.)

I like the Kessil best out of the stated options, for what it's worth.  None should be a bad option though.

• Like 1