SaltCritters.com

Another Current USA, Current USA IC, or AI Prime?

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

Hello!

I've successfully been running a 10 gallon reef for the past year and a half under one Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light; LPS and softies. I have a glass lid on the aquarium that has a black bar down the middle of it, so the front half of the tank doesn't get the best light and some corals are starting to reach. I'd still like to keep the glass lid on the aquarium, but I am also starting to itch for a new/another light.

Ideally for budget I'd like to stay under $250 and even under $150 if possible. I just don't know if, with that in mind, it'd be more worthwhile to get another Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light for the front of the tank, or to upgrade to the IC/PRO series, or to get an AI Prime and call it done; though the AI Prime I feel like a lot of the light would be wasted with the black bar. 

I don't know! Please let me know what you think!

Even with 1 prime, the black panel will create issues. That panel blocks light and definitely will with a pendant light. 

For full lighting, i'd go with another long fixture like the orbit. You will get more even lighting that way

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Even with 1 prime, the black panel will create issues. That panel blocks light and definitely will with a pendant light. 

For full lighting, i'd go with another long fixture like the orbit. You will get more even lighting that way

This is what I figured! Thank you. For this setup, I definitely like the longer lights better. 

7 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I have the current dual pro on my 20L with a glass top and it has the black bar in the middle. So far it's working for me.

Thank you! I'll be looking into the other Current models available.

Thanks guys!

On 2/1/2021 at 3:05 PM, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

worthwhile to get another Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light for the front of the tank

Yes.

On 2/1/2021 at 3:05 PM, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

or to upgrade to the IC/PRO series

On such a small tank, no.

For a standard 10 Gallon tank, it seems like an Orbit should be more than plenty of light – there aren't more than 8" between the top of the tank and the sand bed...most corals ought to be within 6" or so.  

Posting more on your 10 Gallon thread....

21 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Yes.

On such a small tank, no.

For a standard 10 Gallon tank, it seems like an Orbit should be more than plenty of light – there aren't more than 8" between the top of the tank and the sand bed...most corals ought to be within 6" or so.  

Posting more on your 10 Gallon thread....

789548787_ScreenShot2021-02-05at12_54_33AM.thumb.png.a1f8eb5769508640008d53ffef3ff7b9.png
I just have one of these across the top. I actually have an IC light on its way for $99. My zoas are reaching in two areas in the front of the tank and my GSP have not grown while everything else has in the past year! I figure it's lack of light. I'll start slowly ramping up this new light and see how it goes 🙂

Poison Dart Frog

I've had all 3 of those lights. For some reason, so far at least, the Orbit Marine with its lower PAR grows corals better than my IC Pro fixture. Obviously there are many other factors involved. You should look at Susan Nichols YouTube channel. She has 2 orbit marine lights on her 20 long and she has one of the nicest reef tanks I've ever seen, including great sps growth. 

• Like 1

Are you planning to get a larger tank in the next year or so? 

If yes. Get the Prime. I took primes from my nano as I upgraded all the way to a 65g tank. I just bought a 2nd and 3rd one as my tank got larger and more demanding. Money well spent! You could swap the black bar glass for a nice net top and be good to go.

If no. The others who have posted have great advice. Good luck!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

My zoas are reaching in two areas in the front of the tank and my GSP have not grown while everything else has in the past year! I figure it's lack of light.

What do you mean by "everything else"?  

If most of your corals are doing great, but only two aren't.....don't go changing things up in a big way because you might flip the equation and make none of your corals happy.

On the other hand, with two of these lights, you can probably remove most of the glass cover.....7" will covered by LED.  At most I'd keep the front and back panel, but ditch the whole middle.  Try to ditch as much as possible.

Also consider replacing the whole glass top with mesh.  Your evaporation will go up, but the whole lighting problem would completely go away.

• Like 2

Was also gonna ask how nutrient levels and flow are in the tank, and more specifically in the zones around the corals in question.  Are they also in shadier areas?  (I photo would help.)

• Like 1

2046959305_ScreenShot2021-02-05at3_47_14PM.thumb.png.80bd57954bdcbb266642058234b07e28.pngAll these zoas are reaching and the GSP hasn't grown. The toadstool, blastos, euphyllia, and kenya have all grown. I've had new heads on all the zoas, but they are really reaching and the growth rate is maybe two heads every 6 months. Flow is good though I am replacing what I have now with a Jebao sw2 as I'm not entirely happy with the spread that I have right now. 
I mean when I bring the light to the front panel of the tank, I can see a drastic difference in how much light isn't reaching those areas. I cannot have an open top because I peeled the paint off the walls last time and that was the end of that :-).

On 2/5/2021 at 3:51 PM, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

I mean when I bring the light to the front panel of the tank, I can see a drastic difference in how much light isn't reaching those areas.

Why can't you run the light in that position all the time?

On 2/5/2021 at 3:51 PM, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

I cannot have an open top because I peeled the paint off the walls last time and that was the end of that :-).

Aah.

Another thing to consider since it's such a small tank is to get a new glass (eg from the hardware store) without the hinge in the middle.  A cut or two will be required.  Your local hardware store *might* cut it for you.  Re-use the plastic strip at the back since it's nice for forming around your filters, heaters, et al.