Cultivated Reef

Anemone is hiding

Hela

Hi, I bought 2 days ago alive rock that had an anemone over it. The first day the anemone was very ok at its place. However in the night when i turned my light to moon light the anemone suddenly changed its place and it went to hide itself under the rock. Now its not coming out even when I am keeping the normal daylight. Should i do something ? Should i get worried?  Is it because of the light or its because there's something wrong in the water chemistry.  

Thank you

53 minutes ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

Don't touch it or move it if it wants to be there it wants to be there. Also how old is your tank?

thank you for replying. my tank is approx. 2-3 months old

1 hour ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

Not old enough for an anemone. Needs at least a year old aquarium in my opinion others might say less but 2 or 3 months is too early.

Ohh ok, i didn't know that. So Could i do something to increase the chance of it to survive in my tank? because it is still hiding under the rock.

RoyalGramma001
7 hours ago, Hela said:

Ohh ok, i didn't know that. So Could i do something to increase the chance of it to survive in my tank? because it is still hiding under the rock.

Just don't touch it and it should be fine. New tanks don't have the most stable parameters just make sure they are stable and it should be fine it's not too big of a deal. It will be where it wants to be since they can move.

• Thanks 1
On 1/31/2021 at 10:47 AM, Hela said:

Hi, I bought 2 days ago alive rock that had an anemone over it. The first day the anemone was very ok at its place. However in the night when i turned my light to moon light the anemone suddenly changed its place and it went to hide itself under the rock. Now its not coming out even when I am keeping the normal daylight. Should i do something ? Should i get worried?  Is it because of the light or its because there's something wrong in the water chemistry.  

Thank you

Anemones can move, if it goes under a rock it will come out if it wants to. Just make sure that your lighting schedule is consistant and your water parameters are stable.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Afropenguin said:

Anemones can move, if it goes under a rock it will come out if it wants to. Just make sure that your lighting schedule is consistant and your water parameters are stable.

Thank you for replying.  However, I dont get it what I should for the lighting. I asked so many people, everyone is telling me different things.  I use 8 to 10 hours of white light like (daylight) and at night i use the moon light which is blue light for 8 hours. However whenever i turn on the blue light my Anemone is shrinking and hiding. Once i open the white light its coming out. Same thing is happening with my corals. Some people are saying its normal, they need to rest and its photosynthesis blablabla. But whats confusing me is that in pet stores they always keep the blue light on and all their corals and anemones are showing their colors, they're not shrinked. (My lights are good theyre not cheap.)

4 hours ago, Hela said:

Thank you for replying.  However, I dont get it what I should for the lighting. I asked so many people, everyone is telling me different things.  I use 8 to 10 hours of white light like (daylight) and at night i use the moon light which is blue light for 8 hours. However whenever i turn on the blue light my Anemone is shrinking and hiding. Once i open the white light its coming out. Same thing is happening with my corals. Some people are saying its normal, they need to rest and its photosynthesis blablabla. But whats confusing me is that in pet stores they always keep the blue light on and all their corals and anemones are showing their colors, they're not shrinked. (My lights are good theyre not cheap.)

Yeah when the lights are low or off, your corals wont puff themselves up. For your lights, if you want to have the blues on, youll still need a bit of the other lights so that the intensity is strong enough for the corals to know its day time. Try using a combination of mostly blues and a little bit of the whites and the anemones will be happy.

At night my tank looks like this:

PXL_20210203_081408938.thumb.jpg.5b0e68d96be3bfe2be2565d3d8c78e4a.jpg

During the day it looks like this:

PXL_20210202_000435829.thumb.jpg.1dfc4527816495bfc9b7ec38e87a7ca8.jpg

• Wow 2