inTank Media Baskets

Neon Goby and/or Pink-Streaked Wrasse

littlefishes

Hello! Right now I have a small Royal Gramma in my Biocube 32. Later, I was thinking of adding some more peaceful fish like the neon goby and the pink-streaked wrasse. These are both described as eating parasites, so is it better to only get one or the other? Does it matter as long as I feed them enough meaty frozen or flake/pellet foods? I'm worried that they will begin competing for the same resources and cause problems. Thanks for your time! 

Pink line wrasse are not aggressive and neither is neon goby. Neons don't always eat much, and can be quite hard to feed so there could maybe be a some food inequalities... But for feeding neons you want nutrition sinking pellets, as usually they will eat it. IMO the tank will need some parasites for the wrasse to feed on, I know especially with cleaner wrasse they can starve without them don't know the extremities of this in pink stripe. Royal gramma might pick on them but depends with the fish 

Hope I've been of use to you! 😃 

I've never attempted a neon goby but they're probably a bit of a pain to feed. 

My opinion though, when it comes to peaceful non-aggressive eaters is to avoid overstocking the tank at all costs and be very deliberate on what inhabitants you add.  You also have to be fairly determined if you want to wean them onto flake/pellet.  They may never go that route. 

In my opinion they will not compete to the point of stressing each other out...both chooses are good and should live peacefully together. Maybe distribute the food so they all get there fair share.

They say these fish will eat pests in the tank but unless we have an excess of pests we must still feed the fish. Whatever pests fish eat is both bonus for us to keep them in check and a treat for the fish. 

As a side remark..

I kept 3 neon gobies in the past.. they bred continuously.  The fry never lasted too long. The filter took care of that and I am sure the other fish were having a little snack.

• Like 1

I have a yellow neon goby and in the past I have had blue neon goby, both in the same tank with a possum wrasse. The possum similar to a pink streak wrasse in that it is a passive and shy fish that will eat things like flat worms as well as any fish food. The neons only eat parasites that are on other fish, most fish know this and will come to them to be cleaned. They won't eat any that are on rocks or sand. Neons are fish cleaners. Mine will also eat the same food as my other fish. They will both do well together  just watch for the neon they are small, bold and fearless. My will clean my hand and anything other tools I have in the tank. He has also taken a ride in the vac when I wasn't paying enough attention.