Pod Your Reef

I need books, lots of books

king aiptasia

king aiptasia

In light of recent events of 2020 ive been archiving everything and i've been made to see the value of having offline copies of all data and resources. what are your most informative aquarium books and magazines? is anyone trying to offload lots of books and magazines?

Hmm good question.   I mean obviously paper magazines are still available.  I've been a subscriber to CORAL for several years and browse back issues all the time.  I think you get a digital copy with your subscription now also.

As for books... That's a tougher one given there's so much information out there - but a general fish guide isn't a bad thing to have handy. 

1 hour ago, king aiptasia said:

In light of recent events of 2020 ive been archiving everything and i've been made to see the value of having offline copies of all data and resources. what are your most informative aquarium books and magazines? is anyone trying to offload lots of books and magazines?

I have a thread just for that!  🙂 

Now if someone could show me how to print out a copy of the Reef Chemistry Calculator, I'll be a happy Luddite!!!

• Like 2
king aiptasia
15 hours ago, ajmckay said:

Hmm good question.   I mean obviously paper magazines are still available.  I've been a subscriber to CORAL for several years and browse back issues all the time.  I think you get a digital copy with your subscription now also.

As for books... That's a tougher one given there's so much information out there - but a general fish guide isn't a bad thing to have handy. 

do they offer back issues in bulk? 

15 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I have a thread just for that!  🙂 

Now if someone could show me how to print out a copy of the Reef Chemistry Calculator, I'll be a happy Luddite!!!

I'll see which ones i can obtain

king aiptasia
13 hours ago, geekreef_05 said:

There are some good reef classics by Anthony Calfo. Google him. Im probably dating myself with that reference.

thanks, I may purchase some of his work

not this one though...image.thumb.png.d8dd344b28cc30cfe8668279a920751c.png

• Haha 1

LOL...that's a little steep for what amounts to a large magazine.  (It's very good and worth having though...don't get me wrong.)

In seriousness, I'd snap up one of those used copies for $56 if it really looks interesting to you.  His book on invertebrates is also really good.

• 3 weeks later...
king aiptasia

so i ended up finding the book of coral propagation 2 edition at a steal, i assume this was more complete than the 1 edition but correct me if i am wrong, and calfos book of invertebrates

On 1/27/2021 at 10:39 AM, mcarroll said:

Good find!!   I've never seen it in hardcover before – didn't even know that existed.

I have the hardcover edition.  I bought it years ago before I started my first tank ( 2 wks ago ).  ONly opened once or twice stored on shelf. 

This one

51mCwGab6GL.jpg

• Like 3
king aiptasia
26 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

I have the hardcover edition.  I bought it years ago before I started my first tank ( 2 wks ago ).  ONly opened once or twice stored on shelf. 

This one

51mCwGab6GL.jpg

yep that is the one i got, also hardcover

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DreC80 said:

I recommend Scott W. Michael’s “Reef Aquarium Fishes”.  Great book.

Shimek's Invertebrates book in the same series is also excellent – they make a great pair.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Shimek's Invertebrates book in the same series is also excellent – they make a great pair.

I have that one too.  I must've listened to your recommendations back in the day ( 2009 )  Too funny.  I was looking up a horseshoe crab the other day in the book.  LFS employee mentioned I might want one. 

Found out it " IS NOT " something that belongs anywhere near my 10 gallon tank! 

Definitely a good reference book..

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...