Cultivated Reef

Help yellow clown goby

raciampa

I have had a yellow clown goby for about three weeks and he will not color up. I have him in a ten gallon with a false perc and a coral banded shrimp. I have tested my water and everything is where it should be. I was told if I have more than one then he will color up, but by themselves they don't have any color. He is eating great and looks healthy.

Thanks,

Robert

I would also be interested in learning what causes this. I bought a green clown goby about a month ago. He was a good, strong color in the store (there were several others in the tank with him) but since then his color has faded to a very light, dull green. I've had some other trouble with him - he has gone through several cycles of minor ich infection, but since the tank is so small and he's so fast I haven't been able to catch him to treat him (it's mostly an invertebrate tank, so no way am I using a treatment on the whole tank!) He's the only fish in there.

Has your fish experienced any other symptoms besides loss of color?

I have had my YCG for a lil' over a month and he or she is doing great, good color and everything. It's the only fish in my MiniBow7. I may add another and see if they pair, maybe even 2 more :)

darkened color is from a few things

stress caused by other fish

stress caused by poor water quality

stress caused by illness

all can lead to illness or poor nutrition

coral banded shrimp are carnavour's and love to eat small fish like a small yellow goby that is a cause of stress.

no more than one will not make it color up calm envrioment with small pods and worms to pick of of live rock will make it color up the fastest and these types of gobie are not good with most sps colors as they like to bite at the polyps and do damage in this way.......

HTH

i have a similar problem, i jsut got him so maybe thats why his color isnt so great, but he is the only fish in there besides hermits and snails. any idea if a pistol shrimp will help?

Dr. Saltwater

It seems like there's nothing wrong in the tank if we talk about water quality and other inhabitants. Ever tought about aquascaping .... place of the corals?

People ofter forget that the Yellow clown Goby (Gobiodon okinawae)s' natural habitat is between branches of SPS corals. It wil also life between other corals but only if it can lay between the coral-branches.

So my question, do you have natural hiding places? If fish don't feel like they're home the colors often don't come out too.

Dr. Saltwater and Mattie are right. Lose the CBS and even without sps other branching corals will attract the goby (heliopora, some euphyllia, caulastrea, etc....). Also if this is a small tank, under 12, do not put in more than one clown goby. I tried to put 3 in my twelve and in that space the dominance of one of them really came out. It would not let the others eat or swim anywhere out in the open. The other two had to be moved to another tank.

Archived