inTank Media Baskets

magnets

Dave MN Nano

• 1 month later...
Simulated Fish
On 1/23/2021 at 2:40 PM, Dave MN Nano said:

Are magnets like this to use in my tank? Or will they leach bad chemicals? https://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Magnets-Coating-Powerful-Permanent/dp/B07FZ2VMG8/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=aquarium+magnet&qid=1611434098&sr=8-9

If not, what magnets are safe?

If they are fully coated, looks like they are, then your good to go! 

ehhh i ordered some of those same magnets (literally the same ones) and i had one end up leaking some red, rusty-looking stuff from it... not much but definitely enough to notice....

• Sad 1
6 minutes ago, Simulated Fish said:

dang cracks or just super cheap and too thin coating?

yeah I believe it started leaking from where the seal meets around the edge of it. It is NOT a fully coated magnet; its 2 separate pieces sealed together with a plastic weld or whatever... so yeah, I'd say look for one that really is "FULLY" sealed.  like dipped in the protective coating or whatever...

Disclaimer; it wasn't some crazy bad leak. In fact, i ended up putting the magnet in the other tank since i was using it to let some back-wall Cyphastrea grow onto so i  could make an easy frag to put on my other tank's back-wall lol. But yeah, i don't plan on letting it stay long! Also i was even thinking that the red stuff was just iron in the water collecting on it and dripping down since its magnetic and close to the return nozzle