ReefCleaners.org

Eclipse 12 update

Korbin

Here is my eclipse 12 at 3.5 months old. I think the rock is coming along nicely. It was about 90% bare lace rock when I started. Hopefully these pics will work.

Here is one of the front of the tank from far away:

closer up... only the most purple rocks were liverock initially. Oh, and I guess I better include some specs.

32 watt CSL PCs

minijet 404

cheapo heater

80 degrees F

No fish

1 new branching hammer,

1 branching frogspawn

2 hitchiker orange ricordeas

pink zoanthids

orange zoanthids,

green zoanthids,

blue mushrooms

green striped shrooms

bluish colt coral

2 blueleg hermits

3 banded trochus snails

water changes weekly

phytoplankton weekly

bits of shrimp and flake food for everybody in the tank weekly

Actually, its a free $30 polyp at my LFS. I split it into 2 pieces when I removed it from the rock, and thats the larger one. So I actually have 2 of them.:happy:

No, I'm running the filter with no carbon, and no biowheel.

Thanks for the comments.

Originally posted by Korbin

Actually, its a free $30 polyp at my LFS.  I split it into 2 pieces when I removed it from the rock, and thats the larger one.  So I actually have 2 of them.:happy:  

No, I'm running the filter with no carbon, and no biowheel.  

Thanks for the comments.

maybe I'm missing somthing here, but how exactly is is a filter?

There was a huge thread awhile ago about whether or not bio-wheels are good for SW tanks. I don't remember exactly why, but I decided to take it out.

I would recommend them, except that they are made of acrylic which scratches easily and the hood is hard to modify.

If I could do it all again, I would probably look for a 12 gallon glass bowfront. (which they probably dont make).

I read it. People should remember this, no one who actually uses biowheels has had a problem with it. the only people who say they are bad havn't used them and their critisism is based on their hypothesis and not actual expiriance. also many people use them improperly. I have an offer (exept some people might try to fraud me) anyone here who used a biowheel properly and had a problem with it competing with LR. I will pay them to replace all lost livestock.

• 1 year later...

The problem with a biowheel is it defeats the purpose of what your liverock is supposed to do. The biowheel can be very helpful in a freshwater tank, not so in a saltwater environment.

Anyway, the reason an Eclipse 12 owner would NOT want to run the biowheel is because the filter they put in the back of the tank blocks somewhere around 20% of the light in the back of the tank. With light being one of the most valuable requirements for a reef tank, that should be one of the first things that should be taken out of the tank IMO.

*shrug*

yeah im gonna ditch the eclipse hood on my 25.jd is right about the system blocking out light from the back.but imo i thing the actual biowheel itself is helpful.imma go topless on my tank with a new csl moonlight fixter.light is good!the filter blocks it but i dont think the biowheel is bad as long as its in a hang on filter.

Guys,

Live rock can deal with the denitrafication far better and more efficient than a bio-wheel ever could.

To be blunt, why have something like a bio-wheel working at all when you already have the best mother nature can throw at it in the rocks themselves?

Basically it's simply not needed if you have an established reef tank.

Archived