ReefCleaners.org

painting pvc drain/return lines

steely185

I am pretty sure I already know the answer to this is no but I wanted to ask anyway. Is there anything to be concerned about if I paint PVC that will not be submerged by water. I would not be painting any pvc surfaces that would be cemented or glued. I would also be using a latex paint rather than a spray paint.

I am looking at making a return to reefing with a 24x24x12 mr aqua (symbolic) 30 gallon tank. I don't want to paint any sides of the aquarium and want to make this as clean a look as possible. I'm looking at using a mame overflow/return (clean look inside the tank) that would connect to a short piece of tubing then to a barb on a pvc drain/return line. This pvc would be painted with the same paint as is on the wall in my home office. This would allow the tank to look clean and drain/return lines to blend or disappear when looking at the tank and wall.

• 2 weeks later...

I painted a custom intake pipe I made to act as a surface skimmer that connects to my AC70.  I spent a very long time reading every thread I could find here as well as on other sites where people buy large, custom tanks.  

I used Plasti-Dip and it has caused zero issues with my tank.  The fish, corals are all fine and I added this painted piece well over a year ago.  

Plasti-Dip is actually rubber and it can be peeled off.  I used several coats and scuffed up the PVC so it would not peel off as easily.  

The produce is available at Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-Dip-11-oz-Black-Plasti-Dip-11203-6/100131010