ReefCleaners.org

Turbo Snail Escape!

geekreef_05

I should have taken a picture, I reacted too quickly! 

This morning when I checked on the reef, I noticed one of my snails was missing. I figured the snail must be under hanging rock, outta view somewhere. 

After making a coffee, I peered into the reef again. There was a trail of salt stain drips on the glass, farthest to my usual viewing location... I follow the trail and there's the snail! 

He/She made it out of the aquarium, over the glass and down the dry side about 3". I was stunned. Im back into the hobby now, but Ive had a fair amount of experience and this has never happened before. The snail was dry, but I immediately placed him/her back into the reef. Now he's going about business as usually mowing down algae.  

Anyone else experience a snail escape?

Its time for another coffee 🙂  

Some snails like trochus and cerith inhabit shallow reefs and tide pools in the wild, so it’s not out of the ordinary for them to wander up and off. Having a screen top helps. 

• 3 years later...
On 1/15/2021 at 9:38 AM, geekreef_05 said:

Anyone else experience a snail escape?

I know I'm a few years late here 😉, but I wanted to ask anyway:  This was definitely a "standard" Turbo snail?   

I've mostly seen Nerites and hermit crabs do it.  Never seen a Turbo do more than get up to the water line.  Interesting!  

Was the water especially warm or cool or was anything else going on (eg. new tank, etc) that could have "motivated" him like that?  

Has a snail ever done that on you before or since?

Thanks!