SaltCritters.com

Fuge or Skimmer in an IM Nuvo 20?

BigMike80

Trying to decide what to put in my 2nd chamber of my IM Nuvo 20. This tank will be an Euphyllia dominant tank with a pair of clowns, a watchman goby/shrimp and maybe a clown or neon goby. 

Every skimmer that will fit this tank has very mixed reviews and I’m getting mixed feedback on the efficacy of a fuge in nano AIO tanks. 

Im currently doing 20% weekly water changes and leaning towards a fuge for the biodiversity aspect. 

Please share your opinions and experience with either Nano fuge or skimmer. 

Hi, I have the 20g peninsula and I had the same question for a while. I went with a fuge, mostly cuz it runs by itself (no risk of failure) and felt more natural. 

However from my own and still short experience

• back chambers can be a pain to clean, so I would recommand thinking about something you can easily remove for maintenance once in a while.
  • The messier it gets, the more pods and other living things will grow in it. 
  • Back chambers are relatively small in the end, sometimes it doesn't fell like the fuge is as effective as it should. 

Can't say anithing on skimmer, never tried one. 

When I had my fusion 20, the fuge never took off. Brittle, broken chaeto all over. I also had a Ghost Skimmer that was super finicky.  Heavy bio-load, so I assumed I could use both. I think with time and a more established tank the fuge would've been fine. 

I'm running both in my fusion 40 and getting great skim and trimming chaeto monthly or less. 

4 hours ago, mfield16 said:

When I had my fusion 20, the fuge never took off. Brittle, broken chaeto all over. I also had a Ghost Skimmer that was super finicky.  Heavy bio-load, so I assumed I could use both. I think with time and a more established tank the fuge would've been fine. 

I'm running both in my fusion 40 and getting great skim and trimming chaeto monthly or less. 

Which skimmer are you running in your 40?