Pod Your Reef

Is my Scoly dying?

Bluereefer

Hi Nano reef

I’m a bit of a lurker, don’t post much but love reading everybody’s inputs into this great forum! 

I came home from my lfs yesterday and noticed my croc island scolymia has recessed it’s tissue to it’s skeleton? Sorry it’s not the best photo but it should give you some idea. There’s still some colour from the scoly so I don’t think it’s dead. At first I didn’t think it was a major issue as my torch coral sometimes does it for around an hour occasionally, but comes back fine! 

Did a 10% (5L) water change and tested.

Salinity - 1.025

Ammonia - 0

Nitrate - 5ppm

Calcium - 500

KH - 9.5

PH - 8.2

Temp - 78f

I keep it in moderate to low light and flow, and have had it for approximately a month with no previous issues! I have an emerald crab and I believe they’ve been known to nip? But I’ve never seen him take interest in it. 

Any help would be great! Sorry about the essay 😂

D5AF31D4-5FA1-4ED6-997D-297E260243C6.jpeg

• Sad 1

Yeah sure, mushrooms are a good start! hardy species and there are some nice colour variations out there! Kenya tree’s another easy coral, but can grow quickly. Most start with soft corals when they’re starting out! That’s just my two cents, if you make a new post on the coral forum many of the members here will help 🙂

Definitely doesn’t look good. Your parameters look fine. It very well could be something picking at it. Low flow low light is good. 

I would dip it in an iodine solution and place it in some sort of container with a lot of holes for flow. Hopefully if its a critter messing with it the container will keep it protected and give you time to catch it. Likely happening at night. 

Could also just stare at the tank all day or set up a recorder XD

Iodine dips work well though for lps. 

1 hour ago, Bluereefer said:

Yeah sure, mushrooms are a good start! hardy species and there are some nice colour variations out there! Kenya tree’s another easy coral, but can grow quickly. Most start with soft corals when they’re starting out! That’s just my two cents, if you make a new post on the coral forum many of the members here will help 🙂

would that include florida ricordea as being easy for beginners?

On 1/8/2021 at 11:04 AM, Bluereefer said:

Salinity - 1.025

Ammonia - 0

Nitrate - 5ppm

Calcium - 500

KH - 9.5

PH - 8.2

Temp - 78f

PO4?  Get it tested at the LFS if you don't have a kit.

Thank you for the responses @Elizabeth94 & @mcarroll! I've just got home from work and spotted my bicolour blenny having a go at it! So he's gone back to my LFS. The scoly looks a little better, not much but I'll take any signs of improvement. My Po4 is at 0.3ppm. I fed the Scoly some mysis yesterday and it ate it! I'll keep a close eye for the next couple of days and it is looks like going downhil I'll try a dip. Thank you for your time 👍

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Bluereefer said:

I've just got home from work and spotted my bicolour blenny having a go at it!

Unusual but not unheard of for them to be like that.  What have you been feeding and how frequently?  Anything else outcompeting him during feeding times, like an aggressive clownfish?

@mcarroll He went straight for a Deresa clam I put in a month back but I didn’t know he went for LPS as well. I feed marine pellets in the morning and frozen mysis in the evening, plenty of cuc in there so I don’t hold back on the feeding either. If anything, I’d say the blenny was aggressive with my female clown! The clowns seem to be swimming a bit more freely as well now that he’s gone.

Blenny's can definitely be pesky if they set their mind to it....yours just isn't one of the notorious ones.  

Clownfish and Red-lipped blennies are the only fish to ever draw blood on me via biting.

• Like 1

My clowns bites are getting stronger week by week, the male’s starting to have a go now as well! They always seem to go for right between my fingers, like they know it’s a touch more sensitive! They really are amazing fish but talk about biting the hand that feeds you! 

• Like 1