Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dying Marco

deetu

20 gallon AIO FOWLR and macro

Tank is two years old.  Amimonia, Nitrite, Nitrates all at 0  Because it is FOWLR, I don't have any other tests.

Reef Crystals in distilled water.  Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacterClean

20200825_154135.thumb.jpg.fe94787e017058535d48082ff76a16fd.jpg

I had a situation where I had to treat my display tank for numerous problems.  Please no remarks that I should treat in QT.  There were a couple fish that could not be caught and I do not have any coral.  Mushrooms were the start of the problem and had to be removed.  The red macro is fine but the Blue Ochtodes and Green Ogo were okay in the beginning but were not happy when it ended up being extended.  They are still alive but a dull brown (the blue is a red class) and I know that it turns white and clear when dead.

20201130_203214.thumb.jpg.ce592a57f38c3e563280dca13ac90d54.jpg

I moved some to a 2.5 gallon tank to try to encourage it. 

20210103_122325(1).thumb.jpg.9b3422496fe657d80d92993b17d6f826.jpg

There was a piece that broke off and attached in another spot and is growing again, although slowly so I have a small healthy piece that I am babying, but I would like to try to get the others to regrow.

20 gallon has a blue light, the 2.5 has a Tetra bright light stick... I can move the growing to the small tank and put the blue light on the whole thing...might be overkill 

I have been feeding some Kent iodine and Purple Tech...what else can I do?

14 hours ago, Tired said:

Macros need nitrates and phosphates to survive. Zero nitrates will starve them. 

What did you treat with? 

The clown goby decided the mushrooms were for him so got stung and had white looking fungus so I moved the mushrooms and treated with Pimafix and he got better.  Then I got a new clown for mate for female and they decided to try hosting in the mushrooms and got the white fungus look... female started getting tail rot and clown goby got white fungus look again so treated with Pimafix and Melafix as I waited to get EM.  Meanwhile male started hiding and not eating and lost him after started EM treatment. 

The firefish that never went into the mushrooms never got the fungus look. (those mushrooms were gorgeous too...sigh)

The female clown got better...fungus gone and tail rot stopped and grew back but the clown goby still had the white fungus look so treated again with the Pimafix but that was when I saw the macro had enough and goby seemed to be worse so stopped.  No one ever answered what I should do about the clown goby so I let it be and it finally cleared up on it's own.

A week or so later, my firefish was not coming out to eat.  With no other choice, I treated with EM.  After second day she came out to eat but I noticed a fuzzy spot on her dorsal fin.  It did not spread or go away but stopped being fuzzy and looks like something is still there.

The red macro is growing strong so I am going to remove a bunch to have more "food" for the blue and green.

And I did notice that the skimmer had no skim so I shut it off for now.

I alternate using Zoe or Brightwell Aquatics Vitamarin-M when feeding fish

Clown gobies are actually very resistant to stings. They can sit in some anemones without trouble, and mushrooms have a much weaker sting. I don't think they would have injured him, but something else could have stung him. 

You should get your nitrates up, and see if that does the trick. If not, consider dosing Chaetogro or something similar. You should also get a phosphate test kit, since macros need that, too. 

3 hours ago, Tired said:

Clown gobies are actually very resistant to stings. They can sit in some anemones without trouble, and mushrooms have a much weaker sting. I don't think they would have injured him, but something else could have stung him. 

You should get your nitrates up, and see if that does the trick. If not, consider dosing Chaetogro or something similar. You should also get a phosphate test kit, since macros need that, too. 

Here is a picture of the two.  As you can see, there was something that happened from the mushrooms.  I didn't have any other coral and only happened after they sat in the mushrooms.  Also the firefish never had a problem like them because never went near the mushrooms.

20201028_100047.thumb.jpg.31ad5987403a23e4d3cb73d476ee275c.jpg

20201005_161956.thumb.jpg.d16a5aeed50776aef8919edae6a9e87c.jpg

Thank you for the advice on the macro.

+1 on raising nitrates. I dose nitrates using Spectracide Stump Remover (potassium nitrate) and this dosing calculator: http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

Is is possible you may have brook in the system? Rotting fins, fungus-looking-stuff, and the white haze on your clowns looks like they could be just managing to fight it off right now. Could all just be tricks of lighting on our end though, you could try dosing nitrate or phosphate and adding a fertilizer like chaetrogrow, I wouldn't be able to keep dragonsbreath alive without that stuff.

Just looked that up but after the EM treatment, the fungus look disappeared and tail grew back.  The fish are all healthy now.

If it was Brook, would it have gotten better without formalin treatment?  It still seems like they got this once they hosted in the mushrooms.

20210111_193418.thumb.jpg.6646605d88073d1e1b95b525465d3256.jpg

I just harvested more then half the red out of this tank last week. :rolleyes:  Figured it would be less red to feed and more for the blue.

• Like 1