Top Shelf Aquatics

Frogspawn propogation

originalozzyo

originalozzyo

I have a huge frogspawn coral. When it is fully expanded its almost the size of a cantoloupe or similar sized melon. It wont grow out its branches as i was hoping it would so i could start fragging it and making new colonies. Anyone know of any methods that work?

there's two type i frogspawn i believe, one that branches and one that doesnt, if yours doesn't branch then u cant frag it.... correct me if i'm wrong.

i have frog spawn that branches, the heads split and also "buds" will form at the base of the tissue forming new heads. I bought a frogspawn with about 4-5 heads 6 months ago and now it has atleast 9 heads i'm gonna have to split mine pretty soon.

Dr. Saltwater
Originally posted by reefgurl

there's two type i frogspawn i believe, one that branches and one that doesnt, if yours doesn't branch then u cant frag it.... correct me if i'm wrong.

You're wright :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry he's wrong. The type that dosent is called anchor coral in some areas and can be fragged by simply breaking it in two. Part WILL die off but the other will not. ( a small part of each peice will die off I mean.)

Phiche Master

sorry all "frogspawn" branches....its called euphyllia paradivisa....closely related to "hammer"coral...that being euphyllia ancora, branching hammer coral is called euphyllia paraanchora, and in the same family is the "torch" coral that being euphyllia glabrescens. the reason is not branching is cuz it takes a long long time for corals to grow/make skeleton....I would suggest dosing with kalkwasser to encourage skeletal growth.

• 2 weeks later...

Phiche Master: Your right I was elaborating on what I he was confusing it with.

I get my hammers and frogs spawns to sprout new heads regularly.

Depends on how new or old the tank is. Water conditions etc tec.

I also feed my Euphyllia silver sides. This helps GREATLY. The trick is to VERY GENTLY LAY IT ON THEIR POLYPS. Also do as he says and dose some some sort of calcium henhancing product.

Yes but only SMALL PEICES not the long thick peices.

You have to thaw them ou tin tank water and get them the same temperature as the tank water fisrt though.

You can also feed them Myssis shrimp. Brine shrimp ect ect.

No on the fish food though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having a problem, last time I change the water my torch is starting to die and the frogspawn is turning white-transparent around the mouth (the center of the bubbles), I don't know what's happening is it because I start using RO water ???, calcium is 400 most of the time, the alkalinity of about 4-5, and pH 8.15, Salinity 47.6 (1.023), I had the alkalinity in 10 for 3 days that I tryed to raise the pH with a Seachem Reef Buffer and I lowered it with few water changes... I feed my corals with Brine Shrimp, slowly placing them on top... and after few minutes they spit the Brine Shrimp... can any one help me??? my torch is dying !!!

Archived