SaltCritters.com

Saltwater dither fish?

Xj reefing

Yesterday I bought a new labout’s fairy wrasse I put it in my tank. The tank has 2 clowns and a purple fire fish. The fire fish hid most of the day yesterday but this morning he is a lot more active and is swimming at the front. This is not usual for him as he usually hides at the back of the tank. Is the wrasse making him more brave?

Yep, it works everywhere. Fish seeing other fish of similar sizes out in the open, helps them realize there are no predators. 

If anyone is reading this for ideas of saltwater dither fish, mollies can actually be acclimated (slowly) to saltwater. They don't do well in high flow, but in a reef with some lower-flow areas, they can work out well. As a bonus, they'll eat algae. Not much, but they'll eat it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a possum wrasse that was very very timid. I got her a buddy, male blue/green chromis as a tank ditherfish. Work wonders they are besties. They swim together and follow each, I have seen them playing with each other. Now they are both bold fish and are always out and about. Ditherfish fish work.