inTank Media Baskets

Is this a normal condition for the montipora?

Gore15

55 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

It looks more like a stylophora to me.

And good that all metal parts are not in the water. 

lastly, I think someone else mentioned on your other thread(not sure which) that you need to switch your top-off location. 

Is that even for aluminium that is used to make some other LED's arms?

A better light would be good, yes. You should start off with it at a very low setting, then slowly increase its intensity, to avoid shocking your corals. Since you have a long tank, any corals that prefer lower light can be simply moved away from the new light. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Tired said:

A better light would be good, yes. You should start off with it at a very low setting, then slowly increase its intensity, to avoid shocking your corals. Since you have a long tank, any corals that prefer lower light can be simply moved away from the new light. 

I don't think the maxscpect would be the issue unless it's being run too low settings-wise or has the old lenses instead of the 120 degrees.

15 minutes ago, Gore15 said:

Is that even for aluminium that is used to make some other LED's arms?

Aluminum is inert.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Nutrient levels are the issue......stop messing with other ideas until that one is addressed.  (I haven't noticed any other issues, BTW.   The light is fine, if not the best fitting one for the tank.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Gore15 said:

I have increased the amount of food I am giving the fish. I will start feeding them with frozen food starting this week hopefully. (Waiting to get them)

What are the two settings maxing out at on your preset? It dawns on me nobody ever asked, the Maxspect lights, especially the white channel IME, when stock mounted can actually provide too much light for some corals. If it's the default setting which tops out at 100% 100% the problem may be too much light.

Something you might look into is finding a way to mount that light higher and more-centralized over the tank, you should also check the lenses underneath and make sure the plastic housing they are in is white, if it's not you have older -very focused- lensing which makes the light problem I mentioned earlier even more likely.

They should look like this

2062596370_MaxspectRazor120DegreeWhiteReflector.jpg.e08dd60d1c37979ec73906e8a1851a31.jpg

• Like 2
On 1/12/2021 at 4:22 PM, A.m.P said:

What are the two settings maxing out at on your preset? It dawns on me nobody ever asked, the Maxspect lights, especially the white channel IME, when stock mounted can actually provide too much light for some corals. If it's the default setting which tops out at 100% 100% the problem may be too much light.

Something you might look into is finding a way to mount that light higher and more-centralized over the tank, you should also check the lenses underneath and make sure the plastic housing they are in is white, if it's not you have older -very focused- lensing which makes the light problem I mentioned earlier even more likely.

They should look like this

2062596370_MaxspectRazor120DegreeWhiteReflector.jpg.e08dd60d1c37979ec73906e8a1851a31.jpg

It looks like that I have been using the 90* lens and not the 120 degree (the white one). I need to change that. 

I'd also look at making sure the schedule is something reasonable, my own razor is mounted an extra 4" off the water surface and still peaks at 30-82 intensity (and ramps down to 24-72 over 4 hours) and I just got done relocating a favia that bleached on the outskirts of my rockwork.

Just to be sure I am installing the right lens, the 120* is like a simple glass while the 90* lens has 16 small magnifying glasses? A while back I moved the led to be about 10 inches above water level. And my corals are at max about 6 inches deep in the water. 

My tank is pretty shallow.