Coral Vue Hydros

Euphilia placement?

Clownfish king

Clownfish king

Hey would it be horrible of me to buy a euphilia and put it on the top of the rock. Would it bleach. I have a standard  10 G aquarium with a 128 par light. I really want a euphilia but idk if I should put it on the substrate or up top closest to the top.

RoyalGramma001
10 minutes ago, Clownfish king said:

Hey would it be horrible of me to buy a euphilia and put it on the top of the rock. Would it bleach. I have a standard  10 G aquarium with a 128 par light. I really want a euphilia but idk if I should put it on the substrate or up top closest to the top.

I have a torch coral they do well in moderate par I would try a cheap euphyllia and place it on the bottom, if it doesn't look great there in a couple of days then move it up and move it up until it is happy. Make sure your parameters are in line they do not like high nitrates.

• Like 1
RoyalGramma001
1 hour ago, Clownfish king said:

Ok thanks I checked my parememeters last week they seemed good I do not remember the exact stuff but nitrate was in 5-7 range

Ok that should be good just keep it under 10ppm

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty
30 minutes ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

Ok that should be good just keep it under 10ppm

Actually, I've had the opposite experience: my tank has almost always been over 10 nitrates and my euphyllia are happy and growing for years now. (Though yea, general husbandry practice would support nitrates under 10 in general- that's never a bad thing!) euphyllia are easily my favorite LPS, the movement and color is great! Be mindful the flow isn't totally blasting it. They like flow, just not direct or intense flow.

I agree with @RoyalGramma001, start with it on the sand, and then over the course of a week or two move it up the rockwork. This is good practice for all corals you place in your tank, for that matter, not just euphyllia. it helps them acclimate to the light. if you shock a coral with too much light all at once, they have a tough time recovering their zooxanthellae and may die from that bleaching.   

• Like 1
RoyalGramma001
4 hours ago, thecoralbeauty said:

Actually, I've had the opposite experience: my tank has almost always been over 10 nitrates and my euphyllia are happy and growing for years now. (Though yea, general husbandry practice would support nitrates under 10 in general- that's never a bad thing!) euphyllia are easily my favorite LPS, the movement and color is great! Be mindful the flow isn't totally blasting it. They like flow, just not direct or intense flow.

I agree with @RoyalGramma001, start with it on the sand, and then over the course of a week or two move it up the rockwork. This is good practice for all corals you place in your tank, for that matter, not just euphyllia. it helps them acclimate to the light. if you shock a coral with too much light all at once, they have a tough time recovering their zooxanthellae and may die from that bleaching.   

Depends what type of euphyllia, different species are different and every coral is different. For instance some people do well with torches and some don't. I think it would help if the op knew what type he wanted as it would be easier to help.

• Like 2
RoyalGramma001
Just now, Clownfish king said:

I would prefer hammers and frogspawn

Ok those are the easier species but keep in mind every coral is different and some tanks are not suited for them, sometimes without rhyme or reason.

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty
On 12/24/2020 at 1:39 PM, RoyalGramma001 said:

Ok those are the easier species but keep in mind every coral is different and some tanks are not suited for them, sometimes without rhyme or reason.

Yep! Great!

Ive had wonderful luck with hammers and frogspawn. I think I've only lost one hammer since I started the hobby- and I have REALLY made some huge tank mistakes! For your own sanity, start with one that isn't your personal "holy grail" so that you're not overly attached to it. there is no anxiety quite like anxiety over whether a specific coral in the tank is happy. 🤣  Just like RoyalGramma001 said, sometimes it has nothing to do with you and has no rhyme or reason. I hope you go for it- we'd love to see pictures and hear progress!

• Like 2