inTank Media Baskets

Lighting for WaterBox Peninsula 15

~LadyBug~

Hi! I'm planning my new tank for after I move, and I'm looking at getting the WaterBox Peninsula Mini 15 and doing a BTA tank. The display dimensions are 16.6"×13.8"×13.8" and I'm trying to decide if a Kessil A80 would work. It's just a tiny bit over the recommended dimensions for the A80.

Also, planning to have the tank right next to my desk and would like to minimize light spill/height - would the A160 be better for that?

Appreciate any input, thanks guys!!

On 12/21/2020 at 2:38 PM, ~LadyBug~ said:

WaterBox Peninsula Mini 15

Basically a square cube since you aren't lighting the filter compartment.

On 12/21/2020 at 2:38 PM, ~LadyBug~ said:

would the A160 be better for that?

Yes the A160 would be a better choice.  (WB's optional light for that tank is a Prime 16HD, for comparison.)

Mounting height is what will determine the amount and severity of any light spill, so that will be mostly in your control.  By the math, an A160 will be great at around 3-5" off the water, maybe even little lower.

Personally I'd have to consider something like Current USA's Orbit IC led strips for a tank like that (though it looks like their 12" lights are all sold out). There are quite a few similar options out there.  Or consider Tunze's submersible lights.  

Either should have less light spill than a spotlight..especially the submersibles.  

Here are Tunze's options:

image.png.fb38e55c0133da502ab32a971310e4a6.png

TUNZE® LED 

You could do a traditional blue-white blend with the one white and two marine blue.   Or make use of the higher power Full Spectrum model (with or without a blue and/or white supplement).  Since they work right in the water you won't need quite as many watts as you would with a traditional reef light.