Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Confusion on battery backups.

Sector001

I have a portable generator for the heater and other things for any long term outage but I'm looking for a UPS to run my main return pump (Syncra Nano) and Wavemaker (AI Nero 5). I have a 20 gallon Waterbox cube.
I'm not a DIY guy and don't have much room behind the tank for a DIY solution. I'm just looking for something that will automatically kick-in if the power goes out at night or when I'm at work to hold circulation until I can get home to hook up the generator.
It seems that everyone has conflicting issues with UPS and reliability. I was looking at either of the following:
  • Icecap Battery Backup version 3
  • EcoTech Marine Vortech Battery Backup (will this work with my pumps?)
  • Standard APC or Cyberpower Battery Backup
  • Tunze Turbelle Safety Battery Backup Connector (will this work with my pumps?)
I would appreciate any suggestions from reefers using a UPS.

I'd probably go for a standard UPS for simplicity.  But...

Unless you live in an area with unreliable power, IMO the cost of replacement batteries kills the value of this.  All things considered, I can't even justify keeping my computer gear on UPS.

If you DO live in a place with unreliable power, aquariums might not be the most ideal hobby....but having an auto-failover for the generator is probably a better bet in this scenario.

• Like 1

BTW, if you had Tunze DC pumps (eg their model 6040, 6055 or 6095) you could use that connector you mentioned to hook up a really simple DIY battery system.  Depending how you feel about this whole issue, it could be worth considering a switch in pumps to take advantage of that.   (Not to mention they make the best pumps around.)

MainelyReefer

If you get an mp10 the eco tech battery provides good peace of mind and runs for considerably longer than the other options you mentioned.  I have one and would recommend it