Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Circulation pump

rough eye

before i buy a koralia nano 240 to put in the evo13, is there a smaller, hopefully less expensive option? i'd like one to be as unobtrusive as possible but don't want to spend a ton. also figure i could use it to mix a gallon or 2 of saltwater when needed.

I've been looking at the Jebao SLW-5 for my 9g Flex. The flow seems right, the controller is nice, the size seems right and only $50 on Amazon and eBay.

I had the Hygger for a day. I loved the size, wasn't thrilled with the controller, and even on the lowest setting it was too much for my tank. The SLW-5 is only slightly larger, but the flow is half as much.

• Like 1

i got a koralia 240 used from somebody. hopefully it won't introduce anything unsavory into the tank. in the mean time i think i'll save up for one of those Jebao SLW-5, since they look pretty nice.

1 hour ago, paulsz said:

A maxi jet is cheaper. Not sure if smaller though. I can't recall the dimensions.

It's a pretty bad choice as an in-tank powerhead - the suction cups are garbage and they are very loud for the water they push. I use them for stuff like mixing salt since they are indestructible even with loads of build up.

A koralia 240 is literally a $25 pump, is quiet, and has magnetic cups. If you are looking to save just $5 or $10, this is a terrible place to do it.

• Like 1
On 12/16/2020 at 4:08 PM, jservedio said:

It's a pretty bad choice as an in-tank powerhead - the suction cups are garbage and they are very loud for the water they push. I use them for stuff like mixing salt since they are indestructible even with loads of build up.

A koralia 240 is literally a $25 pump, is quiet, and has magnetic cups. If you are looking to save just $5 or $10, this is a terrible place to do it.

What would you recommend for the GPH in a powerhead needed for a 22 gallon long, 11.5" x 11.5" x 35.5"?

13 hours ago, Nargard said:

What would you recommend for the GPH in a powerhead needed for a 22 gallon long, 11.5" x 11.5" x 35.5"?

the koralia i'm using is completely silent. the 240 is recommended for up to 15 gallons but the next higher one is maybe the one you would use?

On 12/15/2020 at 1:19 PM, rough eye said:

before i buy a koralia nano 240 to put in the evo13, is there a smaller, hopefully less expensive option?

Isn't the Hydor 240 a $25 pump?  Isn't $25 already really cheap?

On 12/15/2020 at 1:19 PM, rough eye said:

i'd like one to be as unobtrusive as possible but don't want to spend a ton.

That's a really small tank, so everything is going to be fairly obtrusive.  😉

Your best bet is to have a tank layout that hides the flow pump.

Having a flow pump that lends itself to being hidden is also nice.  

At only $40, the Tunze 6020 might be worth considering for that purpose – it's got a very unique build style, more or less intended to be run behind some rockwork, out of sight.  

image.png.5ee7cbd66471605c86191a07a983dc29.png

But it might also be a bit too much flow since it's rated for 10-66 gallons.  

If you're willing to step up to $140 for a controllable version, the Tunze 6040, then it's the same basic design rated down to 5 gallons. (5 to 132 gallons in range)

image.png.3017bd5886decd7503b5c12f6e79f7d0.png

• Like 2
On 12/18/2020 at 7:15 AM, jservedio said:

It depends on what you are planning on keeping and your budget.

Over time I'd like to have a wide variety of corals - softies, LPS, SPS. But as I'm just back into the game after 15 years away I'm going to take it slow. Softies and LPS to start. And I have a decent budget, but if I can avoid buying a mp10 and get something that would work as well in a 22 gallon long then I'm all for it. I'm just not sure what that is and what the reasonable max flow that I would need/want is.

24 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

What are the actual in-tank dimensions of the Evo 13?  (Excluding the filter space.)

good question. looks like about 11.5" x 19" and about 13" high.

If your flow from the filter-wall is strong enough, you might get by on one added flow pump.  Otherwise two pumps will be ideal.

Since you only have around 10 gallons of space to flow, it's hard to argue for spending hundreds of dollars on a flow pump.  At most I'd consider the Tunze 6040 I mentioned....at $140 it's relatively inexpensive compared to some other controllable options, but still quite a bit for such a small tank.  Alternately, one of the smaller Hydor pumps might be a better fit, budget-wise.  (Size-wise they are a little bulky, but they are effective and reliable.) I'd strongly consider NOT using a controllable pump in order to save money.  Non-controllable pumps should be more reliable too. Take a look around at what pumps others are using in tanks of that size for more ideas.  👍

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the hydor korolia 240 in my Evo 13.5, it a great circulation pump but it seems to be too powerful for my tank.  Because the tank is so small the water wipes around pretty quick.   I had it running for at least a year.  I turned it off one day and noticed my fish swam around in the tank more and the macro algae was blown over, however I don't think the stock pump that came with the tank is strong enough. I have been thinking that replacing that may be a better choice for such a small tank.  Does anyone have any recomendations for a good replacement?  It has to be small to fit into the chambere.

It's very possble to reduce flow on the pump you have.  The most direct (but permanent) is the file down the impeller a little bit (or a lot) on each fin.  But there are other ways.  Placing a small obstruction close to (or on) the pump outlet will also reduce flow.  Lots of other possible ways depending on your situation and what DIY supplies and skills you have.

• 3 weeks later...

I just put a SLW-5 in my Fusion 10 tank.    Its tiny and pushes a good amount of water.    It isnt completely silent though.   My tank has a sicce 0.5 return pump and and that is dead silent.   I can hear the SLW-5 slightly if the room is quiet.  Its an awesome pump for the money though.  I paid $50 shipped on Amazon and got it next day.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Daveg99 said:

I can hear the SLW-5 slightly if the room is quiet.

DC pumps make more noise than AC pumps since they change speed.  That's mostly why your return pump is more quiet.

A better bet for silence would have been something like a Tunze 6025.  About $40, so you would have saved some money too.  

20 hours ago, mcarroll said:

DC pumps make more noise than AC pumps since they change speed.  That's mostly why your return pump is more quiet.

A better bet for silence would have been something like a Tunze 6025.  About $40, so you would have saved some money too.  

Im not to worried about it.    I used to have a large tank with MP40's and a loud skimmer.   The older mp40's were super loud.   This is nothing compared to that.   I can only hear it when everything is off in the house.  And even then its just barely.  My favorite part of the slw5 is that its so tiny.   And space is very important in a Fusion 10.  

• Like 1
On 1/27/2021 at 12:45 PM, mcarroll said:

About how big would you say?  (diameter as well as from glass to tip?)

2 hours ago, Daveg99 said:

1.5" x 2.25" 

dang that is tiny...  (that's what she said)

I will say that I'm a big fan of my Jebao RW-8 in a 40br.   The first one I had died pretty early, less than a year - but the current one has been going strong for 5 years.  It's not 100% silent, but it's quieter than my skimmer so doesn't really matter.  I use it in a pulse mode so it could be quieter in a constant mode.

• Like 1