Top Shelf Aquatics

Algae ID

oli98

Hi, 

I can not find any info anywhere on this type of algae that I have. I had it for a while but seems to have proliferated recently (nutrient spike I suspect). It’s long wiry strands that are quite course and not soft at all, quite difficult to remove from the rocks. They just seem to grow longer and longer rather than clumping as much. I thought it could be some type of chaetomorpha? Please let me know what you think and if there are any ways to get rid of it. 

Manual removal is just too difficult to get it all and neither my snails or hermits touch it!  

thanks 

A2A8D49A-EB59-46A1-AD77-C8A6F3DE906E.jpeg

i've got the same stuff (came on my live rock) and never found out what the name was. I'm tagging along. I just removed them this weekend during my waterchange. They are quite tough to remove. Took a while for a little patch. 

19 hours ago, paulsz said:

i've got the same stuff (came on my live rock) and never found out what the name was. I'm tagging along. I just removed them this weekend during my waterchange. They are quite tough to remove. Took a while for a little patch. 

Yeah it's weird, never had this before. It does feel like some sort of macro algae and has no harm to anything in my tank. I just think it looks unsightly. I tried to remove as much as possible yesterday and found using tweezers to rip it out has been the easiest way to do it. I can't get it all but it is looking much better today!

Have you tried a little hydrogen peroxide? A small syringe with a few ml.  sprayed over the clump may set it back enough to kill it off. It may be worth a try on a small problem area. 

Search for "green wire algae" and see if that's the same stuff.  I haven't dealt with it myself, but have seen others post about it and there might be some info on removing it.

• Thanks 1
On 12/17/2020 at 1:20 PM, jambon said:

Have you tried a little hydrogen peroxide? A small syringe with a few ml.  sprayed over the clump may set it back enough to kill it off. It may be worth a try on a small problem area. 

I’ll give this a try, have some bridges peroxide laying around