Cultivated Reef

Will 2 or 3 different hammers be fine in close proximity to eachother?

Aidanburkhardt

Aidanburkhardt

I have begun to add corals into my tank and they are all doing well and the tank itself is also doing fantastic. However, a lot of the corals I like or even ones that are available seem to be green so I was looking into getting some different colors to spice it up even tho they may be a bit more expensive. I have a very bright green hammer frag in my tank and have found a hammer frag that is green and purple and one that is purple and orange. My plan is to get these both or one of these other hammers and have them in somewhat close proximity. I know hammers are pretty aggressive and can sting other corals and I have seen a bit of conflicting information on whether people find this to be safe for the corals or healthy 

UpsideDownPumpkin

I’ve got five hammers and two frogspawn in close proximity and they’ve been fine so far. With Euphyllia, I’ve always understood it as hammers and frogspawn are ok to mix/touch but torches you want to keep only with other torches. And then you keep your Euphyllia away from all your other coral. 

Also, if you get that orange and purple hammer, I’d love to see it. That colour has never come up locally for me.

Aidanburkhardt
52 minutes ago, UpsideDownPumpkin said:

I’ve got five hammers and two frogspawn in close proximity and they’ve been fine so far. With Euphyllia, I’ve always understood it as hammers and frogspawn are ok to mix/touch but torches you want to keep only with other torches. And then you keep your Euphyllia away from all your other coral. 

Also, if you get that orange and purple hammer, I’d love to see it. That colour has never come up locally for me.

That’s what I figured and what I’ve seen most of I Just wanted to confirm cause they are fairly expensive. I’ll definitely post a pic of it when it comes in if I end up getting it. I actually got my corals all online with Black Friday deals, I had never had any corals shipped so I was a bit worried, but they came in very healthy and were opened immediately, they were even opened up a bit in the bags. 

UpsideDownPumpkin

I’ve only ever had corals shipped once - I’m lucky and have a good marine LFS. The frogspawn was happy and open in the bag and the torch was moody for a week. On the other hand, I have a hammer that is still moody from a half hour drive home about a month ago. Different strokes. Same with the touching I guess, there always might be one that doesn’t want a neighbour but all you can do is try and be prepared to move it on the off chance it does sting something.

Good luck with your hammers, can’t wait to see what you do with them! 

• 4 weeks later...
Aidanburkhardt
On 12/15/2020 at 4:56 AM, UpsideDownPumpkin said:

I’ve only ever had corals shipped once - I’m lucky and have a good marine LFS. The frogspawn was happy and open in the bag and the torch was moody for a week. On the other hand, I have a hammer that is still moody from a half hour drive home about a month ago. Different strokes. Same with the touching I guess, there always might be one that doesn’t want a neighbour but all you can do is try and be prepared to move it on the off chance it does sting something.

Good luck with your hammers, can’t wait to see what you do with them! 

Just wanted to follow through on this since you seemed interested. I received the purple and orange hammer a few days late due to a snow storm we had so it unfortunately died but the company corals.com where I got it from was super awesome and helpful and reimbursed me with store credit to get this frogspawn hammer hybrid which came in on Friday and is doing fantastic, I also have ordered a tricolored hammer that is coming in next Friday to add next to it which I’ll post a picture of them together when it arrives but for now I’ll post the picture of it on the website 

29EF4904-2406-44D1-8E38-5BE8505D3D9B.jpeg

38143BBF-CE1E-4B56-999B-11E5CD0688AA.png

• 3 weeks later...
Aidanburkhardt
On 1/31/2021 at 3:23 AM, UpsideDownPumpkin said:

Stunning! I think it looks even better under your lighting than in the vendors photo!

Got it at the perfect time my tank lights set automatically and have a ramp up and ramp down feature so I caught them right as the sunset feature flicked on and it looked amazing