Innovative Marine Aquariums

canister filter with all in one tank

Caingram

Weird question, is there a way to hook a canister filter up to the back chamber of an all-in-one tank? Right now I have an Eheim classic 250 on a 5 gallon rimless. I really like the filter and the media is very well established. I am wanting to upgrade to a 10 gallon tank. I have my eye on the jbj rimless. https://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4753&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8dH-BRD_ARIsAC24umZCSD4UfKj0mK5PgZNpPFuwIjxLW1lBz8lw0k7SIDo1ikp_kcRZBhEaApBvEALw_wcB

I want to keep my filter though. And I want to conceal the intake and output tubing so it would be great if I could somehow connect it to the back chamber of the tank. Does anyone know if this can be done? My heart isn’t set on this tank by the way, if this idea would work better with another tank out there. 

45 minutes ago, Caingram said:

Weird question, is there a way to hook a canister filter up to the back chamber of an all-in-one tank? Right now I have an Eheim classic 250 on a 5 gallon rimless. I really like the filter and the media is very well established. I am wanting to upgrade to a 10 gallon tank. I have my eye on the jbj rimless. https://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4753&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8dH-BRD_ARIsAC24umZCSD4UfKj0mK5PgZNpPFuwIjxLW1lBz8lw0k7SIDo1ikp_kcRZBhEaApBvEALw_wcB

I want to keep my filter though. And I want to conceal the intake and output tubing so it would be great if I could somehow connect it to the back chamber of the tank. Does anyone know if this can be done? My heart isn’t set on this tank by the way, if this idea would work better with another tank out there. 

Why not just move the media to the aio? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 3:21 PM, farkwar said:

The Magnum 350 HOB was pretty cool back in the day

Doubt that's made any more

Replaced with the Marineland Polishing FIlter.  Good such that it is, but not the same.  I have two.

On 12/12/2020 at 8:53 AM, Caingram said:

is there a way to hook a canister filter up to the back chamber of an all-in-one tank? Right now I have an Eheim classic 250 on a 5 gallon rimless

Is that a saltwater tank?

I can't remember which off-hand, but either the Red Sea Max 130 or the Coralife BioCube used to have inlet and outlet ports built-in for a canister filter.

On 12/12/2020 at 8:53 AM, Caingram said:

My heart isn’t set on this tank by the way, if this idea would work better with another tank out there.

Is this going to be a reef tank?  I'd consider a plain tank of similar build style and outfit it with a Tunze Reefpack setup rather than spec'ing a dedicated AIO tank.  (Which means letting go of the Eheim...which isn't a great fit for a reef anyway.  Better for fish-only systems.)

• Like 1