SaltCritters.com

New Torch help!

RoyalGramma001

RoyalGramma001

Hi everyone,

i just got a new torch and it has a large part of the skeleton exposed and it looks like it may be splitting or possibly damaged. Also one tentacle has a fuzzy thing hanging off might be hair and lint or dust. I can get a picture in the morning when the whites are on if needed.

thank you.

Please post a pic tomorrow!

How old is your tank? What are the water parameters (alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, nitrate, phosphate?) We need details of the tank before anything

RoyalGramma001
6 hours ago, paulsz said:

Please post a pic tomorrow!

How old is your tank? What are the water parameters (alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, nitrate, phosphate?) We need details of the tank before anything

It is almost a year old and everything was perfect for parameters I just got him like literally last night so it still could be adjusting

What does "perfect" mean? Never take their answer of "fine", get the exact numbers for yourself. 

Coral looks fine. Torches have a lot of skeleton that's just always exposed. 

• Like 1
RoyalGramma001
23 hours ago, Tired said:

What does "perfect" mean? Never take their answer of "fine", get the exact numbers for yourself. 

Coral looks fine. Torches have a lot of skeleton that's just always exposed. 

My nitrates were crazy high so that's probably why. I did a change today and I'm doing one tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my réfugiâmes set up soon to eliminate nitrates.

Don't eliminate nitrates, your corals will starve. Keep a bare minimum of 5ppm nitrates and about 0.05 phosphates. 10+ppm nitrates is better for many corals, especially soft corals. 

The torch in that picture looks like a torch coral that's been recently disturbed, not like anything is wrong with the water. 

RoyalGramma001
2 minutes ago, Tired said:

Don't eliminate nitrates, your corals will starve. Keep a bare minimum of 5ppm nitrates and about 0.05 phosphates. 10+ppm nitrates is better for many corals, especially soft corals. 

The torch in that picture looks like a torch coral that's been recently disturbed, not like anything is wrong with the water. 

Yeah I just got him so it's probably a little upset. Will a refugium for my tank eliminate to many nitrates or will it be ok? Also my nitrates were about 80 ppm so I'm doing crazy water changes.

What the refugium does to your nitrates will depend entirely on what's in the refugium, compared to how much you feed and how much the things in your tank use up. There's no way to tell. The only thing you can do is watch your nitrates after the refugium is added and adjust things accordingly. Which means you should buy nitrate and phosphate tests (good ones, not dip strips) so you can monitor it at home.

How much are you feeding, in how big of a tank, and what's your water change schedule like that the nitrates got so high? 

RoyalGramma001
11 minutes ago, Tired said:

What the refugium does to your nitrates will depend entirely on what's in the refugium, compared to how much you feed and how much the things in your tank use up. There's no way to tell. The only thing you can do is watch your nitrates after the refugium is added and adjust things accordingly. Which means you should buy nitrate and phosphate tests (good ones, not dip strips) so you can monitor it at home.

How much are you feeding, in how big of a tank, and what's your water change schedule like that the nitrates got so high? 

I have a 20 gallon I feed everyday with some pellets and every other day I feed mysis shrimp and I do a water change every week. I will buy a salifert Nitrate and phosphate test. Also what should I do when I buy the refugium and it negatively affects the nitrates and phosphates to be too low?

How many fish do you have, and how much of each food are you giving them? Are you feeding some of it to the corals? 

A refugium is just an empty container attached to your tank in some way. You're meant to put things into that container, usually macroalgae, to provide hiding places for microfauna and to remove nitrates and phosphates. If your macroalgae in your refugium is removing too much of the nutrients, just take out most of the macroalgae so you only have a little bit. 

Is this year old rock

With 80 nitrates?

Not once in my life have I ever heard scrubbing a montipora with a toothbrush for anything, let alone for nudis

Something is off here

Screenshot_20201212-204646_Firefox.jpg

RoyalGramma001
14 hours ago, farkwar said:

Is this year old rock

With 80 nitrates?

Not once in my life have I ever heard scrubbing a montipora with a toothbrush for anything, let alone for nudis

Something is off here

Screenshot_20201212-204646_Firefox.jpg

Idk I was trying to help by looking it up I supposed it meant the frag or dead underside or it was bad advice that was my fault I should have researched a little more before posting. The rest of the rock is a year old but the one in the picture is a new rock I got a couple of weeks ago.

15 hours ago, Tired said:

How many fish do you have, and how much of each food are you giving them? Are you feeding some of it to the corals? 

A refugium is just an empty container attached to your tank in some way. You're meant to put things into that container, usually macroalgae, to provide hiding places for microfauna and to remove nitrates and phosphates. If your macroalgae in your refugium is removing too much of the nutrients, just take out most of the macroalgae so you only have a little bit. 

Ok thank you I was not clear on what a refugium was I guess

• Like 1

What is your water change schedule like, how many fish do you have, and how much are you feeding? 80 nitrates is pretty high. It would be good to figure out why it got that high.

RoyalGramma001
25 minutes ago, Tired said:

What is your water change schedule like, how many fish do you have, and how much are you feeding? 80 nitrates is pretty high. It would be good to figure out why it got that high.

I change once a week. I have 2 fish. And I feed them once a day with pellets until they start to slow down and every other day I feed half a cube of mysis. I might be feeding two many pellets.

That does sound like it might be too much. It's also possible there's been some buildup. You should do large water changes every few days until you have your nitrates down to 5-10ppm, then see how long it takes to rise by about 10ppm more.