ReefCleaners.org

Hanging Lights From Brackets?

UpsideDownPumpkin

UpsideDownPumpkin

Hi all. 

I have a converted 30g freshwater tank and while I’m glad to have upcycled it into a saltwater tank, due to the way it’s designed, I’m having trouble finding a suitable replacement light to upgrade it with.

The tank is euro braced with back corner cut outs for lighting arms. This is limiting me to either two arm mounted lights or a suspension light. It’s quite a long way up to my ceiling so I want to avoid that. I can’t mount anything on the sides due to the bracing and most strip lights are designed to hook onto the sides. 

So I was thinking, could I either a) screw a mounting arm straight onto the wall behind the tank or b) screw a shelving bracket or two onto the wall behind the tank and suspend from that? 

I’d welcome any other suggestions, I’m not exactly a DIY minded person. 

Here’s the light fixture that I’m currently working with: 

https://www.aqua-one-spare-parts.co.uk/proddetail/aqua-one-oakstyle-110-led-light-unit-52123ok-l?gclid=CjwKCAiA8Jf-BRB-EiwAWDtEGpvZHudlYd0Es_EaajpEh-lPsEThkpMsLCkTXwktulrOXX_ocl_-qBoC0I0QAvD_BwE

Hopefully it’s not too insane a plan... I mean, you can do it with a tv right?

ETA: have sprung for a viparspectra 165w to experiment with.

UpsideDownPumpkin
8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I used a shelving bracket to suspend a light onto my 5g.

Others online have as well.

Look up diy aquarium lighting fixtures.

I did a quick google but most of the pictures involved metal bars. I’ll go through the DIY threads in more detail at the weekend. Thank you! 

I've always used shelving brackets - they come in so many sizes. Just measure the distance from the wall to the center of your tank and get brackets roughly that size. I've used 12" brackets on my 20g and I'm using 15.75" brackets on my 50g:

20201124_085844.thumb.jpg.51bdd8cdfe15e4013dc1d282509d120d.jpg

• Like 1