Pod Your Reef

New Birdsnest Frag with some issues...

Chriss Fishes

Chriss Fishes

Hey,

On my last visit to my LFS, I was given a freebie. It's a green birdsnest frag - the big colony he had in one of his displays got knocked down into an anemone, and only the tips of the colony survived. I took a frag, cause free frags, right?

Initially it looked just like a normal frag, but with some white spots from the stings. Now, it seems there's some sort of algae growing onto one of the dead tips of the frag. I can't really tell if it's got any receding flesh, although I do think I've seen some growth on the frag. Should I remove the algae? Let it be? Does it look alright other than the obvious anemone injuries? Thanks!

IMG_20201124_012849-01.thumb.jpeg.b1573340302171b3e427f4c5b6e4957c.jpeg

yeah green birdsnest are nearly indestructible lol. I would say to remove the damaged pieces and it should be fine. You wont need to keep much of it, as long as a tiny little bit looks good it should grow back. I once had some overgrowing everything, so I cut it all out only to find a couple new colonies popping up from where i thought i successfully exterminated it.

• Like 1
On 11/24/2020 at 1:33 AM, Ole Mugwump said:

Now, it seems there's some sort of algae growing onto one of the dead tips of the frag. I can't really tell if it's got any receding flesh, although I do think I've seen some growth on the frag. Should I remove the algae? Let it be? Does it look alright other than the obvious anemone injuries? Thanks!

How is your tank overall?  Can you post what you test results have been for alkalinity and phosphates in particular?