Pod Your Reef

Fluval Edge Nano Reef

DannyAlpha

Hey All,

Starting a journal here of my new reef tank. Been lurking for a few weeks now but decided I should post up some pics to get some thoughts and feedback!

I had this set us as a freshwater edge before about 4 years back before I went off to college (youtube), and had to tear it down. Finally fulfilling the dream of a nano reef tank since I have the time (and money) to set this baby up properly! I have purchased some live rock and sand, water from my LFS, and used a bottle of bacteria as well as algae from the LFS's refugium to seed it with some bacteria. I will do my best to post a log here of everything. So far, I only have some snails, three mini hermit crabs and a cleaner shrimp whose a bit shy at the moment.

Won't be stocking the tank with coral while I go through this cycle slowly. The goal is a coral only tank; however, there's a small chance a clownfish might find its way in, depending on how things start acting. I still prefer maintainability of this tank and a fish might make things harder.

Note: The stock lighting in this tank is atrocious and not enough for any reef tank. After digging for lights left and right, I picked out and installed a sick 20W LED system then put a heatsink on. Also, on top is a couple fans I soldered together with a potentiometer to keep things cool and allow for adjustments. Lighting is also bluetooth controlled via an App.

20201123_090950.jpg

20201123_091001.jpg

20201123_091020.jpg

20201123_091051.jpg

Wish you luck

I have always thought that the Fluval Edge design for reef was very attractive.  I still want to set up a couple myself.

If you go to YouTube, you will see a lot of vids like "Day 67, Fluval Edge Reef". From 6 years ago, and no follow up vids.  Yours is not going to do that, though.

So again, wish you luck.

12 minutes ago, farkwar said:

Wish you luck

I have always thought that the Fluval Edge design for reef was very attractive.  I still want to set up a couple myself.

If you go to YouTube, you will see a lot of vids like "Day 67, Fluval Edge Reef". From 6 years ago, and no follow up vids.  Yours is not going to do that, though.

So again, wish you luck.

Thank you! It really is a nice tank but still a pain to manage, which is why I dont anticipate I will stock it with any fish. Cleaner crew and some coral still look stunning. The biggest pain in the a** is the little hole on top, so I dont want to make it any harder on myself by adding in more things to maintain. I am not too big on youtube, but I do my best to log and record. 

Its a Fluval Edge 6 gallon tank! One of my favorites, I was hoping theyd release that new "reef" version they made with the protein skimmer and everything but I haven't seen it out.

18 hours ago, farkwar said:

Anyone remember the Saltwater Conversion guy who made that filter for the tall 12 gallon Edge?

Pretty sure he was on NR before making that

I haven't been on here before, but I may know who you're talking about! I have seen his conversion kits for the back, they were awesome but expensive. I think they also only had kits for the larger 12g version of this tank. 

Tank looks great! Can you share any more about how you did your lighting? I'm in the middle of building my own reef tank with both a 12g and a 6g Fluval Edge and am struggling to find the right lights.

On 11/25/2020 at 9:27 PM, mcwill said:

Tank looks great! Can you share any more about how you did your lighting? I'm in the middle of building my own reef tank with both a 12g and a 6g Fluval Edge and am struggling to find the right lights.

I purchased a Fluval Sea Marine Nano 20W led light, its a pretty sweet bluetooth controlled light. I decased it and used thermal epoxy to glue a heatsink on the back and put standoffs where the old bolts used to go. On the top, I just got a couple 12v computer fans and used the power supply from the old light to power these guys with a potentiometer to control the speed. The fans are just tack epoxied to the top, but I might eventually 3D print a shell for them.

• 1 year later...

Fluval Edge update, tank is still running! The below image is about 3-6 months into the tank.

image.thumb.png.fe840264187d9ceb44dd53578d6847f4.png

And the image below is how the tank is doing now! After the pulsing xenia overtook the tank, I replaced the rock with another and traded coral with some other people. I officially spent more modifying this tank thank it would have costed to buy a new red sea tank ahaha This is post water change so some of the coral were not happy. Might be looking at getting an AIO sometime soon.

i9fKcAbil_i2K7E_FyZD4NyDRR38-Zsu5h1_vjCrLI4V7g84s8BreYzTE4Fc7w-2tLIvoFAn6mmjda_0dZuhd6CV6SuGd8lY2l4MrxWJ2CDpZjn3ivRwrC3zNwWl6ox0plBp9zLXRxQIZpB8m2eKUMnJ0pUTGyTlS1Q_HnTSFSYdYPGfSD413qWU5vN2jPXTCdMWvtAr8_NAF9AXCu1sQ8lGRLIv6MK7AKwcUR2w4pbQhBh5KJYN2xXuIxx56QqCNhEl3nqyqBggw-nawQDrmVkYli_QMW4_KiFtfKaTMcms6K7ItQ_eaTuupYHom0UWz0FAQm4HYtbT7ss5SwwbYZeEvwD0Mw9mCCNpXVw_20-ULuFFe3BM1VpRR7DeVj6enL_hG8r17bVjDQxJfSSr6NuAJEaTsg-hBmYXZxvNRkX4K7q1xHCmo6Mdktv33wiNpdQDk00a1iYOUcPQBIiMTZgKaH65V6fREU5uCYzM-whXZck0Iym_W2aqbAiWv1Z7JGMjMFsqHHbr6glACidCQv9gsWyo8ereD-K5Bj3yzi7tSYdb85iwAru4PV019CPSkCIKjQWIzRjr8X3CpiSQcWL-WHjWYudpnLHcwj5Ix2XJPNofYIWCFfOfOX_2xci7i0373l0RD4PUXdZKi2yyfGSiKbwxqZNHJraOVNImex0dv62FjVkMwPiKsRpXinUh5QhanQCxPtLm0v51F7Ya_lWQucu5jh6_fmILmwxmnc5MoDBg5G3KBxHDeXVL6fferuInLiz8lEroRGo_QY5toVpXf53g0ZohO2m-UfVxSwqvuPN7Jgb8NAO9Sl_QrUqiXZ2vg8rrN_msEfw4rDOInhFQzCMvrP-HCu4Sh5eo7xIx5SWeSzVaqklVxdH4xfSbXk1HI5v2cNw7yoN32BvQsJCn8vLY3e0sr6MgLEwgSrARIhZ4fRe7w_qwJyqZMpMtrdQnI0u68oQ5Bg=w1290-h968-no?authuser=1