Cultivated Reef

Magnetic cleaner for thicker glass

jservedio

So what's everybody's favorite magnetic cleaner for your tanks with 3/8" to 1/2" these days? My little mag float is far too weak for 10mm glass and they are all $50+ now, so what do you guys use and why is it the best or why is it a piece of garbage?

Honestly couldn't do without it. So skinny it's get into tiny spaces, love that it actually scrapes well plus the soft side for film algae.

I replace the blade yearly if that and I use it on 3 tanks.

MainelyReefer
9 hours ago, jservedio said:

Even for 10mm glass? That seems really strong for my glass. Is it really better than than the flipper, and if so, is it double the price better?

I gave that one as the original post said up to 1/2” glass, when I had my Red Sea reefer 250 the hammerhead was needed for sure, now I use it in my freshwater 110xh as that has thick glass too.  The flipper will suffice for 10mm glass, I don’t think it will float or have a nice looking wood block for a handle though

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

I gave that one as the original post said up to 1/2” glass, when I had my Red Sea reefer 250 the hammerhead was needed for sure, now I use it in my freshwater 110xh as that has thick glass too.  The flipper will suffice for 10mm glass, I don’t think it will float or have a nice looking wood block for a handle though

It does float

• Like 1

You aren't gonna go wrong with an Algae Free magnet (eg Piranha), though your wallet might not forgive you.  😉

All of Tunze's traditional scrapers have always gotten high marks and they go on walls up to 2" thick!!!  😯  Their new Care Magnet (replaces the older small-sized cleaning magnets) is pretty interesting.

A MagFloat just like you have but with the new (not so new) clip-one razor attachment is very nice.

Lots of good options!

Personally I run a MagFloat with the old-style glue on razor...can't recall the company but it was a popular aftermarket add-on.  If I was buying today I'd try out the Tunze Care Magnet.

Hopefully those opinions will help a little.

• Thanks 1