Innovative Marine Aquariums

gonipora

flickj79

anybody wanna trade some zoo frags for this guy, I bought it by mistake. It is the last coral i was going to add to my tank for a while because of some very expensive vehicle repairs i am going to have to make and some unexpected bills, I really shoulda held out till the lfs got some zoos in but I made a really big begginer error in purchasing this and i would like to trade it to someone who has some experience with these corals and isn't such a newb like me so if anyone could help me out in this situation i would greatly appreciate it

i feel horrible for accidentay buying this coral, now all it is going to do is slowly die in my tank, unless it can somehow live till Christmas time when i get my 29 goin which is going to have mh lighting then maybe i can do something

Originally posted by flickj79

i feel horrible for accidentay buying this coral,  

we've all made mistakes in the past... impulse buys are what screws ppl up the most!

why don't u take it back to the LFS...?

usually if you just bought it 1 or 2 days ago they'll give you a good amount of store credit...

i've had it for a week i think i might take it back and say i don't even care about the store credit, i just don't wanna be the person to kill the beautiful animal

Flickj79 - I am local and maybe it might survive in a more established tank until you can get yours going? I do have two zoo frags that you might want. They are getting eaten by some crabs and they might fare better with you.

even the most experienced reefer will have trouble keeping this coral, even the experts are not aware of what it takes to keep this animal alive in captivity, even the most experience can only keep it alive for no more than a year

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had success in the past keeping avelapora as well as goniopora. I would buy some "Black Powder" Or Reef Mud and place a small amount with nocurrent directly on it.

It sound strange but I beleive them to be a fecies feeding animal.

They are always on the bottom in a natural reef as well. They like indirect MH lighting. Do not put it directly under the lamp and donot put to much current on it. They like medium water flow Just enoiugh to make it wave a little.

They will accept Cyclopees as well.

If it starts to die on you get it the hell out of your tank and trash it it is sort of like an anenome when it dies. Fouls the watter a little due to the slothing off of its tissue.

Mine is on the way out . So I think I will take it out & place it on an ant hill & let the ants clean it up. Then I am going to use it as a golfball & T off with the bloody thing.

I'm gonna agree with SaltyDawg, and add that I experimented with mine a while back and found that when the moonlights are on most of the polyps extend toward the light about halfway through the night. Each night for 2 weeks I target fed it very lightly with Phyto and every day it would completely expand and there was considerable growth.

Then for the next 2 weeks after that I went without late night feeding and during the day it would not extend in the least.

I have it on the sandbed in medium alternating current, under HQI MH lighting.

Now after several months it is reproducing.

I'm not gonna say this is a cure-all, but maybe it will help us understand the delicate balance that must be maintained in order to care for this beautiful animal.

Jacob

Oops forgot to add,

Be careful if you have clowns, they seem to enjoy using it as an "anemone substitute." And as you all probably know, goniopora is easily upset by even the slightest contact!

I have only heard of two other people that successfully kept goniopora and alveopora. Eric Borneman is the only name that comes to mind. He has had success keeping one in a dimly lit sump attached to a tank that had high nutrient levels. The other person had another dimly lit tank and he fed it a lot, so I can assume that those are the things that it takes to keep one alive and possibly thrive and asexually reproduce.

Peace

Richard

Hense my theory on it being a fecies feeding animal. I have seen many many many , of them thrive in refugiums and sumps(where the watse from the main tank goes). But few make it in the display tank. I think you would have to have a species only ( by that I mean animals that require the same thing)

tank. I dont think they are asexual though? They may be but as far as I can remember...and I could be wrong for sure.....there are separate male and femal species.

I will have to look that one up. thats interesting if they are asexual. Makes it a true mystery coral!!!!!!

they can sexually reproduce as well as asexually reproduce(they will drop little buds from their base). Not sure if that is the definition of asexual reproduction, but it sounds good to me.

Peace

Richard

Well, I got one colony on a shroom rock I got from LFS. It's in my 5.5 that doesn't have optimal lighting right now. Rock is on bottom or tank, up front. Right now theres lots of "plankton" in the tank due to pods exploding, and every few days I'm seeing a new one grow out from the main colony. So far they seem to be growing, which I feel better about. Wonder how they'd do in the AC500 fuge...

• 2 weeks later...

My pink Goniopora is almost completely recovered. I feel that the less water changes I make, the healthier the goniopora gets. It seems to thrive on dissolved matters, and I have read that it does not eat phyto. small water changes a week, will probably help keep this coral alive. Also I keep the goniopora out of direct lighting from MH, and on the substrate.

• 3 weeks later...

ive got a green goniopora in my 10G/96W powerquad. it seems to be doin just fine, and the colors are beautiful, irredescent purple and green. this thing glows beautifully under my moonlight as well.

Archived