inTank Media Baskets

Good tanks around 3 gallons

Friskaburger

I am gonna start up a much smaller tank, just zoos and softies, and wanted to find a good tank that doesn't require too much modification right out of the box. Any recommendations in the 3 gallons range (+or- a gallon) would be really helpful! Thanks!

Just zoos and softies? If so, just grab a 3ga eclipse or a 2.5ga mini-bow and modify them with a 2x13w PC retro. The equipment the kits come with will be sufficient enough for flow. Just add a heater.

One of the tank I'm considering is this aquarium tote picked up at petco for $13. It's a true 3g, meaning 3 gallons of water actually fit. Nowadays no tank that specifies a certain volume actually holds that. A 7g will probably hold a little over 6g, a 5 will hold 4.5 and so on. Mate it with a aqualight 18W and should theoretically suffice.

Haha, yeah I wish I had money to get a custom. I'm a starving college student, and even thinking of gettin another tank is crazy with the minimal amount of money i have to throw around... but I miss my tank at home too much! I was looking at just gettin a MiniBow 2.5 and trying to cut out the top a little bit to throw in a 20 watt PC. Anybody's experience with a minibow? I like the looks of the eclipse 3 tanks a little bit better.

Are the minibow 5s good? I'm trying to stay as small as possible, but then a 5 might be ok. What kind of retrofit will fit in a minibow 5?

Brian da lion

I know just what youre looking for, although its pretty hard to find. Its a 3 gallon cube from this company called alife, and it is japanese. I found it at my lfs for$39.99 including hang on power filter and 13 watt lamp w/ bulb. I searched for it on the internet and its not there. However, if you happen to live anywhere near chester, nj, check it out at adam's pet safari

Blind Tree Frog

Any reason to get a 3 gallon instead of just getting a 10 gallon that will cost more or less the same anyhow?

The amount of stuff made for 10 gallon tanks should make it fairly cheap to set up I would think. And it's not like you need to get piles and piles of rock.

My nano was originally my sixk tank. The 5 gallon was 10 bucks. A simple light could be fashioned out of so many different things. There are numerous, inexpensive diy such ideas on this site. Even 2x13 lighting can get quite hot and the Eclipse3 hood is all plastic. It can be done, but may require more work. Good luck whatever you choose!!

Archived