Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

At last - Batman’s IM Fusion 20

I'm Batman

On 11/12/2020 at 9:33 PM, farkwar said:

Straight.  To as diluted as you like.

I only had a Qt so I mixed that with about 3/4 gallon.. This is a tester rock I could use in my Pico.

Heres when I first put the vinegar in...

902AAECF-0A60-4C3C-BDAC-9C11AEF9E8A4.thumb.jpeg.d408e4d033fa1106a5b22c6c36677c88.jpeg

This after about 30 minutes... very light bubbles nothing crazy. 1AAAA3F3-44B4-46B0-AED5-EABF4E5D7610.thumb.jpeg.75821ee730ad489e4f9e3d0d420d99c9.jpeg

• Like 1

Here’s after about 4 hours... scrubbed in the the sink and a bunch of algae rubbed off... still some organics. Have it sitting in an RO/DI bucket now...

4CA53017-E388-4596-AFFA-294F73329709.jpeg

• Like 3

See

All clean

You went much more dilute than I would have gone

But now you have more rock left than I would have too

And you don't have to rinse it for a month like with bleach now either

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, farkwar said:

All clean

A bunch of algae scraped off but there are still areas I can see algae or other organics.. thinking I should go stronger??

2 hours ago, I'm Batman said:

A bunch of algae scraped off but there are still areas I can see algae or other organics.. thinking I should go stronger??

I put vinegar in a spray bottle and sprayed it on 100% to increase porosity on mine

It's vinegar, you actually can eat it at 100% strength

• Like 1

Are you certain it was 100% acetic acid?
That's rather hard to come bye 
https://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=5gacetic&gclid=Cj0KCQiA48j9BRC-ARIsAMQu3WRGKuhlhDH75ju3supyhjip9lDzZ7urL80RYVY1y4MSjdvLttoPVSEaAvFtEALw_wcB

Though amazon has 75%, I wouldn't recommend eating it.
https://www.amazon.com/75-Pure-Vinegar-Concentrated-Industrial/dp/B07DKCY2W3

Or did you just mean you didn't dilute the distilled vinegar from the bottle, I could be on about nothing lol...

• Haha 1

Alright. That’s what I’ll do. The lighting doesn’t show the porosity of this rock and it’s not Fiji, but should do well. Going straight “grocer distilled white vinegar“ and going to cool these babies up!!

Slightly concerned about the rust coloration on some of the rocks. 

1A1E5AF5-488B-4162-9DB2-452EFA20521A.jpeg

7DF6430B-11C4-4373-8F1B-403FE962C132.jpeg

3B1758C6-CF95-446F-9B2C-6305099287D2.jpeg

• Like 1

Let's see what it looks like after you have melted a layer off it with vinegar

I have muriatic acid bathed coral skeleton with that discoloration. It didn't come out.  The coral put it there. Probably iron oxide(real rust)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright so I wasn’t happy how that rock turned out and don’t feel like messing with acids so like an idiot I go down to the LFS and pick up some live rock they had in a vat, had a 5 gallon bucket of salt water ready to go dropped it in and now I’m like why did I waste money on rock I’m afraid of?

Think we’re going to run this as a quarantine for now, have some corals on their way.

Here’s the plan, I’ve got some Brightwell xport media I’m going to put in my main tank for a few days and then drop it in one of the back chambers. Think that’ll be enough biological filtration for a bare bottom frag tank?

• Haha 1

Haha

I bought two Nano batches of Gulf Live Rock from Dan Sanchez.  So you're not the only one

And it looks beautiful

I will never use that dead Florida terrestrial rock again. Ever

It's not Bali Alor Rock.  But nothing is anymore

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

good wet live rock full of diversity!

Who know’s the LFS has bins of this stuff. He was like “sorry man I’ve got to dip all the livestock we have,” and then was like “actually you know what? I have some in the back I can hook you up with.” 

So all I know, is that rock came from the back 😂!! Rock might not even be cycled haha!! Tank is tho so that’s all that matters.

All these corals are going in a bigger system in a month or two, I just hope I can sustain them here and use the Nuvo as a Quarantine. Just using a filter sock, a rock and Brightwell rocks from my other tank, AI Prime HD and WWC’s Prime schedule.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1