Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

75 gallon stocking list?

RoyalGramma001

RoyalGramma001

Hey everyone kinda a dumb question but I'm upgrading to a 75 gallon tank and I was wondering if this stocking list is acceptable?

1x Blue hippo tang (until it gets to large) or a purple tang

1x Bullet goby

2x Bangaii cardinal fish

1x Potter's angelfish

1x Blue mandarin 

1x tomato clownfish

1x yellow watchman goby 

1x Melanarus Wrasse

Tell me what you think, 

have a wonderful day!

RoyalGramma001
2 hours ago, Leo_ian said:

a little overstocked. Remove the anthias because they require unholy amounts of feeding. Maybe a midas blenny instead

Ok no anthias.

RoyalGramma001

Also question, if one was to buy a blue hippo tang that is less than 2 inches how long would it be able live in a 75 gallon with a low stock list. I have heard that tangs have really slow growth rates but idk if this is true. I have someone who has a larger tank who could take it when it gets too large.

Maybe two years, at most

Depends on how much you feed it

Edit

Those can get to the size of large plates, I don't think your friend has a tank large enough for when it gets large.  Even in 300 g plus tanks, their growth is stunted

Honestly, get the fish you want and can afford.  Temperament and aggression is more of an issue with fish. You don't need to ask for approval from people, your fish will decide if there are too many fish in your tank.  Ask about compatibility, that's more important than approval from strangers.  Or don't take my advise, you don't my approval either.

(The only thing keeping me from getting a yellow tang for a nano is that they are now going for $120, used to be $12)

RoyalGramma001

Ok so I can keep one for two years I can find someone with a large enough tank and I will do more research on compatibility. I will be running carbon, 1250 Gph power head might be smaller I forget, canister filter with carbon, a protein skimmer by Cora life. I have researched blue tangs and looked at other forums. I know how to feed them properly with multiple feeding a day for a small blue tang. I know they are very finicky when that small so I will be feeding the tangs multiple times a day with algae clips. Hikari herbivore pellets. And some regular pellets and brine shrimp.

How much should I feed at each feeding for the fish? 

Here's an idea

Get a few damsels

Learn how to feed marine fish

Before moving on to the other fish

Or don't, buy your expensive dream fish on your first marine tank.  And learn on them.

I suspect I am being trolled now

Good luck

Ps, is there a way to mute or hide threads?

On 11/4/2020 at 11:28 AM, RoyalGramma001 said:

Hey everyone kinda a dumb question but I'm upgrading to a 75 gallon tank and I was wondering if this stocking list is acceptable?

1x Blue hippo tang (until it gets to large) or a purple tang

1x Bullet goby

2x Bangaii cardinal fish

1x Potter's angelfish

1x Blue mandarin 

1x tomato clownfish

1x yellow watchman goby 

1x Melanarus Wrasse

Tell me what you think, 

have a wonderful day!

If you're going to attempt a mandarin, it'll need special care, especially in terms of fulfilling its daily dietary requirements. I'd recommend doing a lot of research and reading about this fish (or any other dragonet first) before attempting it. And also set aside some extra cash, because the food can be expensive - especially if you need to dump some live pods every weekly/biweekly in the tank. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

If you're going to attempt a mandarin, it'll need special care, especially in terms of fulfilling its daily dietary requirements. I'd recommend doing a lot of research and reading about this fish (or any other dragonet first) before attempting it. And also set aside some extra cash, because the food can be expensive - especially if you need to dump some live pods every weekly/biweekly in the tank. 

I think we are being trolled

RoyalGramma001
7 hours ago, farkwar said:

Here's an idea

Get a few damsels

Learn how to feed marine fish

Before moving on to the other fish

Or don't, buy your expensive dream fish on your first marine tank.  And learn on them.

I suspect I am being trolled now

Good luck

Ps, is there a way to mute or hide threads?

Not first marine tank, I have been feeding fish for more than a year and I am looking for a challenge.  I never really felt a blue tang would be a great choice I was just wondering how long one could ethically keep them in a 75 gallon.

42 minutes ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

Not first marine tank, I have been feeding fish for more than a year and I am looking for a challenge.  I never really felt a blue tang would be a great choice I was just wondering how long one could ethically keep them in a 75 gallon.

There are no ethics to reef keeping or marine fish tanks

You are paying people to capture fish in the wild

With over a 50% death rate before they get to you

To put into your tank. In your house

And you will eventually kill it there, 100% of the time

I mean, seriously, you are not even eating them, either

48 minutes ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

What?

Yup

RoyalGramma001

I'm posting on the website to ask questions. I just wanted to know if it could be done not that I was going to. I don't have all the answers so I am asking I do not think you had to be rude about it. I do not know if you are trying to be rude but if you aren't I am sorry for accusing you and please don't have hard feelings.

50 minutes ago, farkwar said:

There are no ethics to reef keeping or marine fish tanks

You are paying people to capture fish in the wild

With over a 50% death rate before they get to you

To put into your tank. In your house

And you will eventually kill it there, 100% of the time

I mean, seriously, you are not even eating them, either

Yup

23 hours ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

Also question, if one was to buy a blue hippo tang that is less than 2 inches how long would it be able live in a 75 gallon with a low stock list. I have heard that tangs have really slow growth rates but idk if this is true. I have someone who has a larger tank who could take it when it gets too large.

Blue tangs tend to stunt/not outgrow tanks, so probably never. It may or may not shave years off its life if it was kept there.

Not all Tangs are the same, hippos do indeed grow slow but sailfins tend to be fast growers.

A Tomini or Kole would be a good option for a 75g if you don't have the solid means to upgrade . If you can't easily afford an upgrade on whim or don't have space, it's probably better to get a smaller species of Tang. 

Removing and replacing fish and so on is a way to bring in disease so simply rehoming and getting a new one would not be a great plan. 

• Like 2
RoyalGramma001
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Blue tangs tend to stunt/not outgrow tanks, so probably never. It may or may not shave years off its life if it was kept there.

Not all Tangs are the same, hippos do indeed grow slow but sailfins tend to be fast growers.

A Tomini or Kole would be a good option for a 75g if you don't have the solid means to upgrade . If you can't easily afford an upgrade on whim or don't have space, it's probably better to get a smaller species of Tang. 

Removing and replacing fish and so on is a way to bring in disease so simply rehoming and getting a new one would not be a great plan. 

Ok that's a good reason! Maybe I'll get a Kole eye for a yellow tang!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

Also can I keep a angelfish in a 10 gallon the kind people at petco said it was a great 💡 

Petco, from what i heard, is a shitty place to get pets from.

the smallest id keep an angelfish in would be a cherubfish in a 15 gallon long

RoyalGramma001
12 minutes ago, Leo_ian said:

Petco, from what i heard, is a shitty place to get pets from.

the smallest id keep an angelfish in would be a cherubfish in a 15 gallon long

I was joking about that didn't mean it as a legitimate question I believe any angel needs at least 55 gallons 

I’m gonna go over your proposed stocking list one by one 🙂

1. Bullet Goby- Sleeper Banded Goby?

(Not all take to prepared foods readily. They’re a sand-sifting genus that require mature sand beds. From what I’ve read they’re easier to keep than many other sand-sifters but not the easiest compared to the shrimp gobies. Make sure it’s eating at your LFS.)

2. Blue Hippo Tang (No. They get to a foot long. If you really want a Tang only choose from the following species: Tomini, Kole, Square Tail, White Tail with Tomini and Kole being the most common I think.)

3. Potter’s Angelfish (Not the easiest dwarf to keep. Yeah they’re really beautiful but make sure you find a specimen that’s eating and alert at your LFS.)

4. Blue Mandarin (Best to have a refugium. With a refugium I’d give it 7-8 months before adding one. Without, maybe at least a year. If you can find one from ORA that takes prepared foods that’s the best route to go.)

5. Tomato Clownfish (OK, they can get feisty. It’s your call but I’d personally go with a pair of your standard Ocellaris or Percula.)

6. Yellow Watchman Goby (Great choice. Even better when paired with its natural symbiont partner the Tiger Pistol Shrimp.)

7. Melanurus Wrasse (Great choice. Just remember to have a 2-3” sand bed.)

If I was stocking your tank I’d probably do:

x2 Ocellaris / Percula Clownfish- Captive Bred

x1 Yellow Watchman Goby + Tiger Pistol Shrimp

x1 Melanurus Wrasse

x1 Royal Gramma / Blackcap Basslet / Fridmani Dottyback

x1 Blue Mandarin

x1 Potter’s Angelfish

x1 Sleeper Banded Goby

x1 Kole / Tomini / Square Tail / White Tail Tang

x1 Long Nose Hawkfish or a Starry / Bicolor / Midas / Tail Spot Blenny 

And then you said you wanted some Pajama Cardinals in one of your other posts so maybe a couple PJ Cardinals.

RoyalGramma001
2 hours ago, Zionas said:

I’m gonna go over your proposed stocking list one by one 🙂

1. Bullet Goby- Sleeper Banded Goby?

(Not all take to prepared foods readily. They’re a sand-sifting genus that require mature sand beds. From what I’ve read they’re easier to keep than many other sand-sifters but not the easiest compared to the shrimp gobies. Make sure it’s eating at your LFS.)

2. Blue Hippo Tang (No. They get to a foot long. If you really want a Tang only choose from the following species: Tomini, Kole, Square Tail, White Tail with Tomini and Kole being the most common I think.)

3. Potter’s Angelfish (Not the easiest dwarf to keep. Yeah they’re really beautiful but make sure you find a specimen that’s eating and alert at your LFS.)

4. Blue Mandarin (Best to have a refugium. With a refugium I’d give it 7-8 months before adding one. Without, maybe at least a year. If you can find one from ORA that takes prepared foods that’s the best route to go.)

5. Tomato Clownfish (OK, they can get feisty. It’s your call but I’d personally go with a pair of your standard Ocellaris or Percula.)

6. Yellow Watchman Goby (Great choice. Even better when paired with its natural symbiont partner the Tiger Pistol Shrimp.)

7. Melanurus Wrasse (Great choice. Just remember to have a 2-3” sand bed.)

If I was stocking your tank I’d probably do:

x2 Ocellaris / Percula Clownfish- Captive Bred

x1 Yellow Watchman Goby + Tiger Pistol Shrimp

x1 Melanurus Wrasse

x1 Royal Gramma / Blackcap Basslet / Fridmani Dottyback

x1 Blue Mandarin

x1 Potter’s Angelfish

x1 Sleeper Banded Goby

x1 Kole / Tomini / Square Tail / White Tail Tang

x1 Long Nose Hawkfish or a Starry / Bicolor / Midas / Tail Spot Blenny 

And then you said you wanted some Pajama Cardinals in one of your other posts so maybe a couple PJ Cardinals.

Thank you