Coral Vue Hydros

Maxi mini carpet anemone HELP

Pjanssen

Last week I bought a RBTA and a Maxi mini for the 29. The RBTA seems to be doing fine and has settled into a spot.

But the maxi mini not so much. It came on a little rock, so I left it on it so as not to cause any unnecessary stress or damage to the foot. There was a small hitchhiker rhodactis mushroom on the opposite side of the rock, which I also left. Placed the rock on the sanded on its side so that neither animal was buried in the sand.

The anemone kept moving to the bottom of the rock and burying itself in the sand, so I kept turning the rock around to get it out of the sand. Then 2 mornings ago I found it detached from the rock and floating upside down on the sand bed.

I found a small flat rock and placed the anemone on it and covered it with a cut up water bottle which I had cut some slits in in an effort to allow a little water flow (it didn't really work) I had to go to work, so I left it at that.

IMG_1524.thumb.jpeg.63af6125c4b807f083b6bf6511ddc8de.jpeg

When I got home, it had moved to the side of the rock, but at least not under it. So I left it alone, hoping to entice it to get a stronghold onto the rock.

This morning I noticed the water bottle gone and the anemone just barely holding on to the rock. Found the water bottle with a emerald crab holding onto it. The anemone seems to have a tear, which makes me wonder if the crab went after it. I believe it is still alive, as when gently touching it, it does retract, albeit quite slowly. It also is not very sticky anymore. 

PB010270.thumb.jpeg.3ce880a54b8e30fb274a0b97aabfd017.jpeg

I currently have removed it from the tank and have it in a plastic container with nothing but an air hose. I've considered adding a drop of iodine but have read mixed thoughts on that.

Any help or suggestions?

Params:

Temp 72°

dkH surprisingly high 10.2

ca 420

salinity 1.026

PB010269.jpeg

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

This feels like a 50/50. While the anemone still has the ability to stay on and the color is there I am a tiny bit wondering if any stray bacteria may be present to possibly infect it.

A small small dose of Lugol's will work and it will disinfect any potential bacterial infection. There are alternatives like Seachem's Reef Dip which is still iodine, but I think at a lower concentration. Another route can be using Revive or a plant based coral cleaner. I use this at home; and this is also used on any sad looking blubber jellyfish at the National Aquarium in Baltimore.

You are doing the right thing isolating it from the system. I would certainly keep an eye on it. That kind of damage would take months to heal up. There is hope at least.

I've read from Persian and Arabian researchers that a lot of these mini carpet anemones like to stick on rocks or (like that giant cousins) penetrate through the tidepool sand and stick on whatever they can. My mini carpets do about the same on my large gravel except I do them the favor of wedging a small bit of rubble or frag rock into the sand bed and I just hope that they'll eventually find it. One of my two did. The other one is cheeky and is attached on the underside of a rock but will present itself through the sand. Some days it'll tuck in because it just might be an introvert like me.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

This feels like a 50/50. While the anemone still has the ability to stay on and the color is there I am a tiny bit wondering if any stray bacteria may be present to possibly infect it.

A small small dose of Lugol's will work and it will disinfect any potential bacterial infection. There are alternatives like Seachem's Reef Dip which is still iodine, but I think at a lower concentration. Another route can be using Revive or a plant based coral cleaner. I use this at home; and this is also used on any sad looking blubber jellyfish at the National Aquarium in Baltimore.

You are doing the right thing isolating it from the system. I would certainly keep an eye on it. That kind of damage would take months to heal up. There is hope at least.

I've read from Persian and Arabian researchers that a lot of these mini carpet anemones like to stick on rocks or (like that giant cousins) penetrate through the tidepool sand and stick on whatever they can. My mini carpets do about the same on my large gravel except I do them the favor of wedging a small bit of rubble or frag rock into the sand bed and I just hope that they'll eventually find it. One of my two did. The other one is cheeky and is attached on the underside of a rock but will present itself through the sand. Some days it'll tuck in because it just might be an introvert like me.

Thanks for the helpful reply. I actually got reamed on another forum for not letting it bury itself facedown in the sand. No help, just scolding, so thank you for not doing that and offering useful advise. I really appreciate it.

I put 1 drop of iodine in an ounce of water and added 1 drop of that to the container-so almost none. Fingers crossed.

DISQUALIFIED-QQ
1 minute ago, Pjanssen said:

Thanks for the helpful reply. I actually got reamed on another forum for not letting it bury itself facedown in the sand. No help, just scolding, so thank you for not doing that and offering useful advise. I really appreciate it.

I put 1 drop of iodine in an ounce of water and added 1 drop of that to the container-so almost none. Fingers crossed.

That dosing sounds like a good plan. I've seen people frag those mini carpets don't do more than 1 or 2 drops in a generic Rubbermaid container.

• Like 1