Cultivated Reef

BTA went through Powerhead :(

Andrew561

Woke up this morning to a chopped up Bubble Tip.

I had a screen on the powerhead but it still managed to slip through a crack which is completely my fault. The positive thing is that the screen was completely covering the output so there aren’t chunks of Anemone all over my tank. The water was still cloudy and still kindof is.

At this point I changed 10% of the water (that’s all the salt water I had stored). Changed the filter floss. Put a HOB filter on tank to move more water and catch what ever I can. Cleaned the skimmer and it is running now. I also am pointing the outputs towards the surface to oxygenate the water more ( heard that would be a good).

What am I missing? My livestock seems to be fine.

334D6594-0355-4348-AEEA-B91B9E327A42.jpeg

2387A90A-8E73-40FC-9558-268EA388BF11.jpeg

Might consider running some carbon in the HOB filter.

This is why you need test kits - without knowing your parameters there is no possible way to figure out why your BTA detached and there is no way of knowing if adding a new BTA would just lead to a similar result.

If that 2nd picture is your BTA after taking a ride through the pump, it looks to still be in decent shape. If you've got an acclimation box, put it in there to keep it from going for another ride. If you don't, you can take make one from a small tupperware container, fill the bottom with rubble, put the BTA in there, and cover it with mesh. All you can do is wait and hope it doesn't die. Do not feed it.

BTAs will walk around until they find a suitable spot in terms of light, flow, and chemistry. If there are no nearby suitable spots (or chemistry is too far off), small nems may just let go and float about. This is why it's really important to keep your pumps safe with a properly fitting nem guard when introducing a new anemone to the tank.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Might consider running some carbon in the HOB filter.

This is why you need test kits - without knowing your parameters there is no possible way to figure out why your BTA detached and there is no way of knowing if adding a new BTA would just lead to a similar result.

If that 2nd picture is your BTA after taking a ride through the pump, it looks to still be in decent shape. If you've got an acclimation box, put it in there to keep it from going for another ride. If you don't, you can take make one from a small tupperware container, fill the bottom with rubble, put the BTA in there, and cover it with mesh. All you can do is wait and hope it doesn't die. Do not feed it.

BTAs will walk around until they find a suitable spot in terms of light, flow, and chemistry. If there are no nearby suitable spots (or chemistry is too far off), small nems may just let go and float about. This is why it's really important to keep your pumps safe with a properly fitting nem guard when introducing a new anemone to the tank.

I could get some carbon.

I have test kits for calcium, alk, and mag. 

and no, that is the anemone before. The anemone is done.

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, Andrew561 said:

I could get some carbon.

I have test kits for calcium, alk, and mag. 

and no, that is the anemone before. The anemone is done.

Just change the filter floss after a few hours and consider having prime on hand in case you get a spike in ammonia. The chances of that are low if you got pretty much all of it out right away and the filter floss pulls out the rest, but prime is good to have around and extremely inexpensive.

For a nem, you really need to be able to test your nitrates and phosphates - they don't really care too much about Alk/Ca/Mg like stony corals do. With, nems it's all about stability in your nutrient levels.

• Thanks 1
On 10/28/2020 at 10:31 AM, Andrew561 said:

2387A90A-8E73-40FC-9558-268EA388BF11.jpeg

Looks bleached to me.

If phosphates were low or zero, I think he'd have been trying to drift to the shade somewhere to find food/until conditions improve.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Looks bleached to me.

If phosphates were low or zero, I think he'd have been trying to drift to the shade somewhere to find food/until conditions improve.

He wasn’t bleached. That pic was taken right after I put him in the tank. 

this BTA would not latch. It was odd.

I ended up getting another BTA and he latched instantly.

I'm not saying he bleached while he was in your tank.  But he does look bleached in the photo.  

There don't appear to be any dino's in his tissue to give him the usual underlying brown/orange tone that all corals/anemones have from the perdinan pigment of their symbionts.  

All you can see on yours is his green florescent proteins.

Something like this would be more normal:

image.png.3c3f8bee11d1185ecdb5d440040f5ec3.png

Bleached anemones always have that ghostly look.

image.png.e68b123ac47f08dcc39642ae3e279894.pngimage.png.24bc9b39394cf89e4374ae22380c5d28.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

I'm not saying he bleached while he was in your tank.  But he does look bleached in the photo.  

There don't appear to be any dino's in his tissue to give him the usual underlying brown/orange tone that all corals/anemones have from the perdinan pigment of their symbionts.  

All you can see on yours is his green florescent proteins.

Something like this would be more normal:

image.png.3c3f8bee11d1185ecdb5d440040f5ec3.png

Bleached anemones always have that ghostly look.

image.png.e68b123ac47f08dcc39642ae3e279894.pngimage.png.24bc9b39394cf89e4374ae22380c5d28.png

Very interesting. The other second one I got from him looks the same. He did only give them to me for $20. I personally thought they look beautiful, but if your saying they should not be looking like that, then that is news to me.

EDACABEC-7E0F-4633-BF19-73CF27CA9BF7.jpeg

I’m using Saxby setting on my Ai prime hd but did reduce the blues and white slightly because I felt it was too much light. I still feel like it’s a lot of light.

2 hours ago, Andrew561 said:

I personally thought they look beautiful, but if your saying they should not be looking like that, then that is news to me.

A lux meter app on your phone will give you a decent answer to how much light the tank is getting.  

There should be plenty of freebie apps to do that.  A handheld lux meter is cheap and easier to use tho, so I'd still get one of those.  (Post if you have any issues.  Make sure the app is using the correct camera on the phone.)

FYI, bleached anemones aren't that uncommon for some reason.  

Thankfully, if the system overall is healthy there's no reason they shouldn't recover.  Having some other Symbiodinium hosts (aka coral) around as donors should help.

You aren't wrong about how captivating that ghosted look is tho.  And the more you think about what you're seeing, it really is awesome.  

That's Green fluorescent protein suspended in coral tissue.  You're looking at a part of the coral's photo-defense machinery.  Sunscreen!

image.png.e36ff1af02791636942c5ae3de76fe6b.png

• Like 1
10 hours ago, mcarroll said:

A lux meter app on your phone will give you a decent answer to how much light the tank is getting.  

There should be plenty of freebie apps to do that.  A handheld lux meter is cheap and easier to use tho, so I'd still get one of those.  (Post if you have any issues.  Make sure the app is using the correct camera on the phone.)

FYI, bleached anemones aren't that uncommon for some reason.  

Thankfully, if the system overall is healthy there's no reason they shouldn't recover.  Having some other Symbiodinium hosts (aka coral) around as donors should help.

You aren't wrong about how captivating that ghosted look is tho.  And the more you think about what you're seeing, it really is awesome.  

That's Green fluorescent protein suspended in coral tissue.  You're looking at a part of the coral's photo-defense machinery.  Sunscreen!

image.png.e36ff1af02791636942c5ae3de76fe6b.png

It's funny. I thought the store owner was hooking it up so fat when he gave me this anemone for 20 bucks. Well now I know. 

6 hours ago, Andrew561 said:

It's funny. I thought the store owner was hooking it up so fat when he gave me this anemone for 20 bucks. Well now I know. 

Folks sell them like that at full price all the time....that's what I was saying how it's fairly common (as strange as it seems).  $20 is a steal for a BTA....even bleached.  It's possible he won't recover, but not that likely IMO.  He *should* recover.

1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Folks sell them like that at full price all the time....that's what I was saying how it's fairly common (as strange as it seems).  $20 is a steal for a BTA....even bleached.  It's possible he won't recover, but not that likely IMO.  He *should* recover.

Didn't this BTA get chopped up by the powerhead AFTER this pic? If so, I don't think he be recovering any time soon. 

2 hours ago, Hasted said:

Didn't this BTA get chopped up by the powerhead AFTER this pic? If so, I don't think he be recovering any time soon. 

This is a new one

• Like 1