Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hasted's 15g Waterbox Peninsula Mini - The Return

Hasted

Thanks for the updates! I'm cycling my PM 15 right now and your thread was helpful. You had a rather long cycle if you used starter bacteria or did you just let it ride and took your time? Looking forward to some picts.

12 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Thanks for the updates! I'm cycling my PM 15 right now and your thread was helpful. You had a rather long cycle if you used starter bacteria or did you just let it ride and took your time? Looking forward to some picts.

I started with Doctor Tim's and it did a whole lotta nothing. You are supposed to keep this stuff chilled. There is a chance that it was on a shelf or box somewhere for too long at room temperature and went dead.

I then used Microbacter Start. That ended up moving the cycle along slowly.

I had used BioSpira for every tank prior with amazing results. I just wanted to try something different this time around. Was a good experience just to know what a few other products offer. If I was in a rush, I would use BioSpira again.

Turbo Start is also an option. Me and two friends started nano tanks on the same day. Both of them used Turbo and were cycled in a week (roughly same amount of time BioSpira has done it for me).

I would love to see your Mini Peni! They are great tanks!

Thank you for the info. I really love the tank though I do question whether or not I should have gone to the 25. LOL!

I won't dirty up your thread with a bunch of my tank shots but here is one. It's cycling at the moment. I'm using 6 year old, previously live rock, so basically a good as dead, new sand and only ghost feeding to start cycle. I may start a separate thread to share some of my journey w/ the nano-reef community. Looking forward to more updates from you. Not many PM15's being shown.

4c59JP0.jpg

4 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Thank you for the info. I really love the tank though I do question whether or not I should have gone to the 25. LOL!

4c59JP0.jpg

Meh, it's my thread and I am fine with you posting your tank! Haha 

Looking good! Is that a Nero3 also? I love how small they are! 

I prefer the size if the 15g to 25g for my specific spot. The 25g was too tall. I would have liked the tank to be 30" long or so, but all good.

There are quite a few Mini Peni (oh lord. I was about to pluralize that word) tanks on Instagram if thats your thing. I can send a few names your way.

For sure start a thread! 

• Like 1

Went to the LFS to pick up some resin for RODI and saw these itty bitty hammers. Decided to have them as my first coral in the Nano!

20210211_222031.thumb.jpg.34722863ab144f470ef7d5dbd08fd941.jpg

Crazy small, but already splitting to two heads. All my other Euphyllia are chunky before they split. 

Glasses changed the color of the tips. They are more of a dull pink. Nothing fancy. Will get a better, more accurate pic once they are fully happy.

Dipped, replugged, inspected before adding. Lets see how long I can go without a single pest!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing really happening in nano. I have a shipment of 20-30 corals coming Thursday. Goinf to use it as a holding tank until I can find a spot for them!

So many projects!

Here is a stream pic from my Wyze cam that watches my main tank. Hopefully that satisfies you visual peoples until next post.  🙂

2CAA8EA422AD_1614656679892.thumb.jpg.9a863a30d25e5d113c92bc3fbccd0190.jpg

• Like 1

4 months ago.

HEY, lets set up this awesome nano tank and make it have this, this, and that! Will be beautiful in my office where I work 3x days a week!

Today.

Um, 41 corals on frag racks as a holding tank / quarantine tank before moving frags to the frag tank. It is putting in more work than the other two tanks. I am now working from home zero days a week.

My, how things have changed. Ha!

Things won't stay like this. I just got overloaded with fragging and a huge shipment of corals. Things are slowly starting to be transferred out. Hoping to have it back to its normal self in a couple months. I have to say, it is nice having such a small tank for observing corals. Easy to move in and out of, to see, and work in. I still sit next to it at night while gaming, so still quite a bit of eyes on any problems. Which, the only issue so far has just been freaking digitate hydroids. I can't seem to quell them. Been present in my main tank for, shoot, 6+ months? Been swapping plugs and razor knifing every frag that I see these punks on. They have to go a week with no signs of them before transfer. 

Other than that, the tank is actually doing really well. A small clean up crew, one dumb temporary fish, and relatively stable numbers. No complaints at just over 4 months. 

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Hey everyone! This 15g nano will be a year wet in 21 days!

My last update talked about how it turned into a frag holding tank for when I got a large shipment of corals. 

Today? Well, I slowly moved all the corals out to their correct tanks (frag or main). The only thing in it are a beautiful pair of clowns. 

After nearly a year, I am ready to actually do something to this tank! I hope that the year it sat with the fish helped establish the bacteria and I hope to not run into many issues. 

Expect to see an update or two every month from here on out. 🙂

• Like 3

Hey, I've just got the same tank as you and have been wondering how loud the sicce syncra 0.5 return pump actually is?

I can't seem to find any solid evidence that the pump is really quiet as the standard WB return pump is obnoxiously loud in the living room.

My other choice would be the Jecod DC 1200 but again hard to find any videos or example to compare the noise to.

Thanks!

On 11/9/2021 at 7:59 PM, ImD4 said:

Hey, I've just got the same tank as you and have been wondering how loud the sicce syncra 0.5 return pump actually is?

I can't seem to find any solid evidence that the pump is really quiet as the standard WB return pump is obnoxiously loud in the living room.

My other choice would be the Jecod DC 1200 but again hard to find any videos or example to compare the noise to.

Thanks!

The Sicce is much quieter for me and also a bit stronger. If it touches the walls of the tank in any way, however, it is loud. I have mine right next to me and I can't hear it.