Top Shelf Aquatics

Should I change sand?

Andrew561

My sand is Honestly looking like crap. Kind of bugs me. Some new sand would definitely look a whole lot better.

My question is what would some of the more experienced guys do in my position: Leave it, or switch it?

4CCA5FD5-E698-4662-910E-F251B8C6DA29.jpeg

85BE65EE-079E-4255-8044-8A002BFD8931.jpeg

AE2D34B4-93F4-447C-A580-A46DFFD6A7C6.jpeg

to some degree, your sand will eventually "age" into a color other than white.  if you're getting nasty layer of stuff built up in the sand like it seems to be starting currently, you need to research how to vacuum the sand bed to maintain cleanliness and prevent any issue down the road.  

replacing sandbed will not prevent it from happening again.  

2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

to some degree, your sand will eventually "age" into a color other than white.  if you're getting nasty layer of stuff built up in the sand like it seems to be starting currently, you need to research how to vacuum the sand bed to maintain cleanliness and prevent any issue down the road.  

replacing sandbed will not prevent it from happening again.  

I’ve read about vacuuming alittle bit but I am still confused about it. First i would need a tool other than a syphon hose correct? Also, do I just disregard the sand that I vacuum up? if so, wouldn’t I eventually run out of sand?

Just now, Andrew561 said:

I’ve read about vacuuming alittle bit but I am still confused about it. First i would need a tool other than a syphon hose correct? Also, do I just disregard the sand that I vacuum up? if so, wouldn’t I eventually run out of sand?

that's why having the tool, like python, is useful.  it sucks the sand and kinda percolate it around in the lower tube portion, while all the detritus floated out along with water.  doing it right, you shouldn't lose more than 1/4-1/2 cup of water each time.  you're not removing the sand with the tool. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

that's why having the tool, like python, is useful.  it sucks the sand and kinda percolate it around in the lower tube portion, while all the detritus floated out along with water.  doing it right, you shouldn't lose more than 1/4-1/2 cup of water each time.  you're not removing the sand with the tool. 

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/python-pro-clean-squeeze-value-combo-medium-3028797?cm_mmc=PSH-_-GGL-_-CAL-_-PME-_-PET-_-AQU-_-0-_-PM_GGL_FY20_SBU05_SH14_AquaticSupplies_AquaticCare_PLA-SMRT-_-0-_-0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxpz7ppfH7AIVA3iGCh3dOgfREAQYAiABEgLzffD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

is this the one?

5 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

i have one without the bulb thingy.  but yeah, it's the same thing I'm talking about.  many reefers use it to clean their sand bed.  

Thanks, ordered one that doesn’t have the bulb thing on Amazon. 

The bulb thing is a syphon start so you don't have to suck the water into the hose or fight to get it working.

If you haven't been vacuuming the sand, you should only vacuum small sections at a time until it becomes a regular maintenance routine

• Like 2