Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Setting up new Nano, set me up for success!

Hasted

Me:

I am in my office 3x a week all day now for work. That doesn’t include the extra time for gaming and such that I do. I am currently wanting to place a tank on the end of my desk so I can be fully distracted while I “work”. I had a 29g Nano that I got TONS of help with from you guys and was successful! Upgraded to an 80, but want to jump right back into the Nano world!

My want:

Small, peninsula style tank.

Probably bare bottom as I think I want to coat the whole bottom in GSP (and maintain it to keep off side glass) or some other sort of encrusting corals or something. More flow would be easier, also. Still debating on this.

Maybe slightly suspend rocks on acrylic rods – help keep GSP off them and help push water under to keep detritus suspended. Thought about floating island, but I can’t figure out how to do it and have pump in a decent spot/ middle chamber clear for skimmer if added later.

Different than my main tank in some ways (maybe different starter bacteria, different salt, different routines, etc. just to see what does and doesn’t work between the two. Not sure on this). It would be pointless to have two identical tanks just in different spots.

What corals? Well, not 100% sure. I know this makes suggestions a bit harder. Sorry! I think I will shy away from harder SPS for a LONG time in this tank and focus on main tank SPS more (if that helps).

Anything I add, I want to be able to transfer to my main tank safely if anything happens. That means no clowns for starters. This is kind of a bummer since I have been wanting an anemone+clowns for quite some time, but not sure if my main tank is safe for a roaming anemone anymore (or safe for all the other corals). Oh well! I feel like this is the more responsible approach.

My desk is just a hair over 29” wide, so the tank should be under that. This cuts off the IM 20 peninsula from my options, unfortunately, since it is 30” (unless I make a small platform for it to sit on, but not sure how it will look hanging off the back an inch.). I think my next best option (that isn’t far too heavy) is:

Tank:

Waterbox Peninsula 15: https://waterboxaquariums.com/products/peninsula-mini

·         I wanted a good peninsula style tank. I kept bouncing between this and a custom built tank. (28x12x12, internal overflow, peninsula, with sump. Much more complicated and would end up a LOT more expensive).

Light:

AI Prime 16HD: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/prime-16-hd-led-reef-light-black-body-aqua-illumination.html

·         I plan to upgrade this later, but not sure when or what to. I currently want to add a 3rd prime to my main tank once I start to aim more for SPS. I will just rip this one off to use.

·         Since this is my office tank, I think I want to spend a hair more for a better light. AI Primes are nice, in my opinion. I am going to try to find someone in the community that will allow me to borrow a couple different light options to compare. Kessil being the main one I would like to experience (that shimmer).

Flow:

Return Pump: Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-syncra-silent-0-5-185-gph.html.html

• The return pump WB reccommends on the WB15

Powerhead: AI Nero 3: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/nero-3-powerhead-2000-gph-aqua-illumination.html

·         Really excited to use this pump! I wish it was available when I had my other nano.

Heater:

75W Neo-Therm Submersible Heater - Cobalt Aquatics: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cobalt-neo-therm-submersible-heater.html

·         Watched a video where one of these heaters fit nicely in the return pump chamber. May have been a different size, but will double check before buying. I have a few other heaters I use for salt mixing and such, but they are larger and not quite a good fit.

Other:
In Tank Media Basket: https://intankaquatics.com/intank-chamber-one-media-basket-for-waterbox-cube-waterbox-marine-and-waterbox-peninsula-mini/

Probably need a new / smaller mag cleaner?

Some Sort of Bio Brick/Cube that will fit into back chamber? Not Marine Pure, right? Is that the one that leeches Aluminum?

·         As of right now, I THINK I want to go bare bottom. To help with this, should I add in a bio block in the chamber? In theory, I can remove the bottom shelf of the In Tank Media Basket, place it on the bottom of that chamber. That was I am not disturbing it when I remove the basket. It should fit right around it?

Something to sit the tank on: I am sure my desk top isn’t very marine resistant. I should probably sit the tank on something to take the brunt of any water drops. Note: The tank will be on the edge where a cabinet will be. The weight of the tank should be nice and supported. Reason I am going a bit smaller is so I don’t actually test the strength of the cabinet/desk…

What I already have I can use on both tanks:
5 Stage RODI
Red Sea Pro salt
Test kits

·         Hanna Salinity / Temp

·         Hannah Alk

·         Hannah Phosph

·         Hannah Calcium

·         API Master Ammonia, Nitrate, pH, Nitrite (waiting for Nyos in stock from BRS)

·         Aquaforest Mag

Coral / Fish Food

·         LRS Nano

·         Nano Pellets (forget name)

·         Reef Roids

·         Red Sea AB+

·         Algae Wafers

Nano Python Siphon
Additives (Literally have never dosed any of this, though. Still unopened. Scared tbh because I do not understand it fully)

·         Red Sea Trace Colors (ABCD)

·         Red Sea Foundation (Ca/Alk/Mag)

Plenty of buckets, cleaning stuff, and other maintenance tools.

What can you do?

I would love people to pick over my equipment list on what I am buying new, what I have from old tank, etc. I want to be set up for success right off the bat! As far as I know, the back chamber is roughly the same for the 10, 15, 20, and 25 (according to In Tank?), so I would love to hear from those who have those tanks already set up!!

With that said, I am still open to other tank suggestions! Just want a peninsula style if possible that will fit on my 29" deep desk! I am sure I can't go wrong with a WB, though. 🙂 

I am all ears for coral, fish, invert stocking ideas. I have a few ideas, but I don’t know every coral, fish, invert in the world.

I have watched a LOT of videos on different set ups, but always want more knowledge!

Have you considered the fluval evo 13.5g? that should fit on your desk. 

You can put some sort of plastic mat under the tank. Maybe a thin piece of black plastic. That should be water resistant enough that you can just wipe the little drops/splashes off with a towel or tissue.

For lighting. AI prime 16 HD would be more than enough for that tank. Even if you want all SPS. No need for an upgrade down the road.

I don't think you need any brick thing in the back chamber. If you're willing to settle for a low bioload (one or two fish), then a bit of rock in the display should be more than enough imo. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, paulsz said:

Have you considered the fluval evo 13.5g? that should fit on your desk. 

You can put some sort of plastic mat under the tank. Maybe a thin piece of black plastic. That should be water resistant enough that you can just wipe the little drops/splashes off with a towel or tissue.

For lighting. AI prime 16 HD would be more than enough for that tank. Even if you want all SPS. No need for an upgrade down the road.

I don't think you need any brick thing in the back chamber. If you're willing to settle for a low bioload (one or two fish), then a bit of rock in the display should be more than enough imo. 

I definitely have looked at the Fluval! I have looked at IMs 10, 14, 20 and also Fluval 13.5, Lifegard 14, Fiji 20, Waterbox 10, 15. LOTS! There were a few more I saw along the way too. I even looked at custom sized tanks to fit my need perfectly (with internal overflows for a sump). But $$ and complexity (plus I probably can't sell it later down the line if we change the room for kids or something later in life).

I do want a wider rather than tall tank. The height of 15" on the Fluval is what made me shy away from it. I would actually like even shorter than the WB, but meh. Pretty much all the options I just listed are good enough and easily could swap between most of them!

A plastic mat sounds like a good idea. I just want to make sure it looks nice. I will keep my eyes out for options! 

I am sure it will be! Especially since the tanks are shallow compared to what my other tank is! I mean more of visual appeal. The Kessil shimmer is a thing. Haha! I do love my Primes on my main display, so I wouldn't be against keeping a Prime over it. We shall see.

Yeah, small tank so 1 MAYBE 2 fish. Not cramming it. I only have 3 fish in my 80g, so definitely always low on fish. Haha. If I end up needing it, I can add a brick later, right?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, j.falk said:

Distracted doesn't sound like any "work" will be getting done.  LOL

Ha! Was definitely a joke. It is nearly impossible to not "fully work" when I am supposed to. I am an interpreter and people will clearly know if I am not actually interpreting what the teachers are saying to the student(s) as 30 other people are also watching the zoom call... 

Update.

Ordered the Peninsula 15, Sicce 0.5, and the AI Prime.

I have enough heaters, pumps, etc to get started. Just need some live rock or (probably) starter bacteria. 

Will make a build thread once it arrives!