ReefCleaners.org

Can corals regrow after complete tissue loss?

EPMH59

I have a Hammer that was stung by my Frogspawn, and it slowly declined afterwards and it essentially ended up “melting” and the tissue all completely fell off. Nothing is left except the skeleton. Is it possible for new polyps to eventually grow from the skeleton, or is it effectively dead and done and I should dispose of the skeleton? For now I left the skeleton in the tank just in case.

• Like 1

Yes.  If there is still tissue inside of the skeleton (even if you can't see it with the naked eye)...given enough time and the right environment, it can regrow.  There are several documented incidents online of this happening where people thought the coral was dead and left the skeleton in their tank only to find the coral started to regrow months later.

Here's an example:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1008632

• Like 2
12 hours ago, EPMH59 said:

I have a Hammer that was stung by my Frogspawn, and it slowly declined afterwards and it essentially ended up “melting” and the tissue all completely fell off. Nothing is left except the skeleton. Is it possible for new polyps to eventually grow from the skeleton, or is it effectively dead and done and I should dispose of the skeleton? For now I left the skeleton in the tank just in case.

It actually happens a lot.......... I always leave skeletons in the tank just in case.  

• Like 2

Agreed...only take the skeleton out if it's actually causing a problem.  👍

I've also had corals come back LONG after I thought they were dead....a Pavona is my star example.  I thought it was dead for like 8 years and noticed it growing after I upgraded to a larger tank a couple years ago.  W. T. F.  But it's true.  Corals are amazing.

I would caveats that some varieties are far less likely than others to make a comeback like this....Acros and birdsnests would be two.  A few others.  I'd still give them "months" to be be for sure gone before I pulled one of these.

• Like 3

Yep, I've had it happen with a hammer in fact. But, I'd be surprised if your frogspawn killed the hammer. Different species of euphilia generally tolerate each other well. I'd look for other possible causes just to make sure that there isn't something in your tank that could harm other corals.

• Like 1

My Monti spongodes and a sunset completely died off and now they’re exploding like never before. I never thought they’d come back but the skeleton was glued to my rock work so I just left it.

Also had a frogspawn fall behind my rockwork and two years later when I moved I just tossed the discovered skeleton back in the new tank And one night I law this tiny green spec in the skeleton and sure enough there was a tiny polyp in there hanging on. Never made it and eventually died off. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 10/15/2020 at 5:49 AM, j.falk said:

Yes.  If there is still tissue inside of the skeleton (even if you can't see it with the naked eye)...given enough time and the right environment, it can regrow.  There are several documented incidents online of this happening where people thought the coral was dead and left the skeleton in their tank only to find the coral started to regrow months later.

Here's an example:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1008632

Someone left my lights on maximum while I was at work and my torch was gone by the time I got home. All that’s left is this white stuff covering the skeleton. Would this be tissue that it can regrow from? Someone told me to throw it out before it does damage to my tank.