ReefCleaners.org

White spots on Montipora?

antigonus

I Just did a water change, and right after it, my Montipora was closed and there were these little white spots on it.  I made sure to match the new water's salinity, I was wondering if they could be Montipora Nudibranchs, but they don't seem to move, and even though its difficult to see as they're so small, they don't seem to look like nudibranchs. Could it be detritus that got stirred up? Is the Montipora just stressed from the commotion? 

Before and after. 

Montipora1 .JPG

Montipora w white spots .JPG

• 1 month later...
RoyalGramma001

Did the monti make it? If it's still alive and still has a problem you should move to a qt tank and Melafix dip it and scrub with a toothbrush every 4 days for a month. That's what I read that could help.

Scrubbing with a toothbrush seems like it could damage the coral's flesh pretty badly. That's really harsh on a living thing.

The white areas look like areas of polyps that are especially retracted. The little dots are a bit odd, but I wouldn't necessarily be worried. The thing to do would really be to just take it out and look at the dots with a magnifying glass, to find out what they are. But first, try to blow them off with a pipette. If they're detritus, problem solved. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Tired said:

Scrubbing with a toothbrush seems like it could damage

I have never heard of that treatment of montipora

Ever

On frag plugs or live rock, of course

Maybe the poster is thinking of the dead underside of plating montipora.  That would make sense.  But not on living soft tissue

RoyalGramma001
16 minutes ago, farkwar said:

I have never heard of that treatment of montipora

Ever

On frag plugs or live rock, of course

Maybe the poster is thinking of the dead underside of plating montipora.  That would make sense.  But not on living soft tissue

That's what I meant if there was nudibranch to scrub the dead underside

Best to be very, very clear about that. Scrubbing a coral's living tissue with a toothbrush can do some really nasty damage. It'd be a shame to take a coral from unhappy to nearly dead in an attempt to help it. 

• Like 1
RoyalGramma001
Just now, Tired said:

Best to be very, very clear about that. Scrubbing a coral's living tissue with a toothbrush can do some really nasty damage. It'd be a shame to take a coral from unhappy to nearly dead in an attempt to help it. 

Yeah that's my bad for not being clear I'll be more clear in what I mean next time

• Like 2

Anyway

The OP is from October

The monti is either dead already, likely

Or thriving without intervention

When I have had monti nudis in the past, they killed around the edges first, and definitely on the underside

Whitby02.jpg

On December 12, 2020 at 7:53 PM, RoyalGramma001 said:

Did the monti make it? If it's still alive and still has a problem you should move to a qt tank and Melafix dip it and scrub with a toothbrush every 4 days for a month. That's what I read that could help.

Sorry I haven't checked my responses, it actually seems to have grown pretty well, and I think the

spots were probably just detritus that got stuck on it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good! That's the best outcome.

For future reference, it won't hurt a coral to gently (or vigorously) blow on it with a pipette or turkey baster, to check whether something on it is just detritus. And if the stuff in question is not detritus, what it does when blown on will tell you things about it anyway.

RoyalGramma001
14 hours ago, antigonus said:

Sorry I haven't checked my responses, it actually seems to have grown pretty well, and I think the

spots were probably just detritus that got stuck on it. 

Picture? 

On 12/19/2020 at 12:30 PM, RoyalGramma001 said:

Picture? 

I need to try the Xenia, this picture is a few weeks old, it has actually fused on onto the rock on the right by now. 

Montipora new.jpg

• Like 2