Coral Vue Hydros

Question about Euphyllia corals

antigonus

I am trying to somewhat restructure my tank from having only the more "newbie" corals. to some LPS and hardier SPS. Right now I have stocked xenia, clove polyps, green mushrooms, toadstool, Kenya tree coral,  as well as Zoanthids and Montipora I recently acquired. My LFS has some Euphyllia, a few varieties, but I'm cautious about their level of aggression and stinger tentacles. Is it possible to place safely away from other corals in a relatively small tank like a Biocube 32? Or should I stay away from them completely? 

I'd be more concerned about the different types of coral playing chemical warfare.  Softies, then LPS to montipora in a 32g cube is asking a lot. And the space requirements, montis can get big, how big are your kenya, toadstool and xenia colonies?  What about lighting? 

It could be cool to create a layered tank, reserving a spots in the middle and the bottom of your "reef" for some LPS. 

• Like 1

Sure, you can do a mixed reef in a 32. Just keep your euphilia far enough from the rest. Torches are going to be most difficult since they have a stronger sting and longer tentacles. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, antigonus said:

How many inches do you think would be safe for something like a hammer? 

I’d try for at least 4 inches, but it really depends on your scape and flow... I planned my Evo 5 around keeping a torch and positioned it to try to block the tentacles to a certain extent with my scape... luckily euphilia are easy to move if they get feisty. And I had to move my gorgonian and candy cane farther away from my torch. 

65AD47A7-D277-4171-B012-64748968C8CB.jpeg

• Like 2

That is a very good looking tank! Now the only things that cover cover significant portions of the tank are Xenia and mushrooms, the rest are  quite small, so It should be that hard to find a place for the hammer at first. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, antigonus said:

That is a very good looking tank! Now the only things that cover cover significant portions of the tank are Xenia and mushrooms, the rest are  quite small, so It should be that hard to find a place for the hammer at first. 

Thanks, I’ve had torches in other mixed tanks too... a hammer will be easier to manage with the shorter tentacles. 

• Like 1

My hammer stuck out some sweepers super long and killed part of a favia. 

Here is a photo of someone elses basically doing what mine did:

I found torch the most aggressive, followed by hammers and then frogspawn. They can't really move against flow so that is your greatest ally for placement. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 9:04 AM, antigonus said:

How many inches do you think would be safe for something like a hammer? 

I think it depends

I have had a hammer in the past that extended out a single stinger tentacle about 12 inches from the skeleton.  Where mostly the rest extended 3 or 4 inches

• Like 1
On 10/28/2020 at 11:55 PM, farkwar said:

I think it depends

I have had a hammer in the past that extended out a single stinger tentacle about 12 inches from the skeleton.  Where mostly the rest extended 3 or 4 inches

Fair enough, I've had mine in for around two weeks, I haven't seen it extended at  night when I look, and the only coral next to is is Xenia hasn't shown any signs of being damaged or receding.