SaltCritters.com

Freshwater dip

smoothlarryhughes

I dipped a bigger fish for 2 minutes in distilled water when it had black spot disease. It looked to be dying in the freshwater, but recovered from that trauma within a couple of hours. The parasites took about a day to fall off of him.

Probably your clownfish is smaller, so you may want to have a shorter dip (that is, if surface-area to volume is what is important to freshwater toxicity, which I expect, but don't know for sure). I have seen recommendations to do several 20 second dips, but I don't have a quarantine tank. It was MUCH too much work to catch the fish the first time, I had to rearrange all of my rock and coral frags. I just couldn't face doing that several times in a couple of days, so I decided to go for one longish dip. My fish has been free of parasites ever since and seems in good health, with good color and fattening up nicely.

I have also seen recommendations to match the pH of the freshwater first, but I just used bottled distilled water, right out of the bottle. Poured it into a little bowl, and in with the fish.

I'm no expert, so I offer this as a data point, what I did, more than as advice.

• 1 month later...

Agreed.

What would be even better would have been to quarantine the clown.

You could still take it out now and keep it in a tank with a lower sg and treat with copper.

Quarantine/hospital tanks, people!

First off freshwater dips must last for at least 5-7 minutes to get parasites and protazoans off. Otherwise you just shock the hell out of them and stress you fish out for nothing. And not all fish do well with dips such as puffers, eels, boxfish and certain baby fish. That being said freshwater dips usually don't help crypto.(ich/velvet). For that a quarentine tank treated with Quick Cure and furazone to prevent secondary infection is your best bet.

• 2 weeks later...
OscarGuyGoneNano

I dipped my clown for about 5 min. when he had ich. I dipped him in water from one of my freshwater tanks with a close ph and the same temp. When in the dip you could see some of the ich falling off. The dip shocked him pretty bad (he laid curled in the bottom for about 30 seconds). After that he got up and started swimming around. It took two dips but I think he is back to normal.

I don't have a qt tank right now (nowhere to put it). I would rather treat ich like this instead of dumping chemicals into my main tank.

It has been about three weeks w/o ich in that tank now. He is the only fish in that tank.

Archived