Coral Vue Hydros

Weird nano fish(this thread used to be for flashlight fish)

Leo_ian

Hi so i am thinking of getting a weird/rare saltwater fish. I currently have a spriger's damsel, royal gramma and a lubbock fairy (my chromis and cardinal will be moved out soon) 

the tank is a 2o gallon cube that will turn into an sps tank

(this thread used to be for flashlight fish)

I've never seen them for sale. Who has one? 

I've seen them at a public aquarium, once. I believe it was the Atlanta aquarium? They were grouped together in a way that makes me think they might be a shoaling species, so I don't know that you should keep just one. Also, they were kept in the dark. I would expect being in a reef tank, with those bright lights, to stress one out pretty badly. 

Some cardinalfish are nocturnal. Look into those instead. 

Edit: pretty sure they get kinda big, too, depending on species? And I found this. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847598

• Like 1

What does "no issues" mean? Did it just not die? Did it grow to full size for that species and exhibit natural behavior? 

How long was it in the tank? 

Is it a GOOD public aquarium? Some aren't. My local one is pretty terrible in the welfare department. 

On 10/8/2020 at 6:43 AM, Leo_ian said:

Hi so i am thinking of getting a flashlight fish for my 20 gallon cube reef. The fish will be fed twice at night and once in the day(for the other fish) i read on another forum that this person who worked at an aquarium has never seen his flashlights growing more than 4 inches and he has kept one in a 10 gallon with no issues. The water temp is 74-77F would that be too high? I currently have a spriger's damsel, royal gramma and a lubbock fairy (my chromis and cardinal will be moved out soon) and was thinking of adding something to have some action at night. Are there other substitutes to that fish? Anything i should take note off? 

You can keep a lot of things in a 10 gallon tank........doesn’t mean that you should. 

https://m.liveaquaria.com/product/1156/?pcatid=1156

• Like 1

There are tons of amazing types fish you can get for a 10 gallon. Very interesting fish. Go with something that will enjoy and thrive in the space? 

It's difficult to understand why you would want to spend time and money to become both frustrated in a situation and for an animal to get stressed and die or at best suffer ??

Go with a couple of small fish and a big old handful of crazy critters, you won't be disappointed in how interesting the tank becomes 

• Like 1

For a 20gal cube, try a rooster waspfish. Cool lil guys. Venomous, but you won't die or need a hospital if you get stung, and you shouldn't really put bare hands in the tank anyway. Skilletfish/clingfish might be a possibility, but you should double-check that those are tropical. Gumdrop coral croucher "gobies" are very shy, but also sort of weird, and I believe they're scorpionfish?