ReefCleaners.org

Help me choose between some new lights?

SergeantStatic

SergeantStatic

I am currently running an aqua knight 30w on my fluval evo 13.5

It is a very good light and I am successfully keeping acropora and a BTA

However even though the PAR on the light is good , I am looking at upgrading my lights to either an AI prime 16HD or red sea led 50 for better coral colour and growth

can anyone with these lights over similar tanks or the same tank tell me how you are finding them?

9rv0bspte3r51.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The AK is a good light for the price point,but trying to compare this light to a Prime 16HD or RS ReefLed 50w is like comparing apples to oranges. 

Either one would be an excellent replacement. I personally want to try out the ReeferLED light. I currently have a 16HD over a 10" cube will all high end zoa's and I like it.. But don't love it. 

I'm a DIY guy and love building them due to I can use what colors I want,but I got tired of tinkering really. I'll probably keep buying commercially built lights from here on out. 

On 10/5/2020 at 12:38 PM, SergeantStatic said:

I am successfully keeping acropora and a BTA

On 10/5/2020 at 12:38 PM, SergeantStatic said:

I am looking at upgrading my lights to either an AI prime 16HD or red sea led 50 for better coral colour and growth

Upgrade if you want to, even if it's just for the fun of it.  But I would look elsewhere for better color and growth...your lights probably don't have much to do with it IMO, or you'd have some kind of complaint about your corals not growing or dying.

(If you're comparing the colors you see in person to the colors you see in pictures online, I'd point out that any colors you see that are dramatically different than what you see at home are probably faked by one means or another.  Tweaking color.  Tweaking exposure.  Tweaking the lighting profile.   That's just three of THE MANY WAYS folks doctor their photos before posting.  There are other factors that aren't faked that also make photos look unreal though....better than anything you can see with your naked eye.  One of those things is the lens choice.  A badass camera lens can see ALL KINDS OF DETAIL that our eyes cannot see unaided.

Just to repeat:  If you're looking for any of those things you see in pictures online in your tank at home, I would reconsider your expectations.  👍

It's impossible to tell what your tank looks like from the pic you posted – too blue-washed.  (Your camera phone's fault, not yours.)  But my guess is that your tank LOOKS GREAT in person.  Try to enjoy it and not compare it.  👌

7 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Upgrade if you want to, even if it's just for the fun of it.  But I would look elsewhere for better color and growth...your lights probably don't have much to do with it IMO, or you'd have some kind of complaint about your corals not growing or dying.

(If you're comparing the colors you see in person to the colors you see in pictures online, I'd point out that any colors you see that are dramatically different than what you see at home are probably faked by one means or another.  Tweaking color.  Tweaking exposure.  Tweaking the lighting profile.   That's just three of THE MANY WAYS folks doctor their photos before posting.  There are other factors that aren't faked that also make photos look unreal though....better than anything you can see with your naked eye.  One of those things is the lens choice.  A badass camera lens can see ALL KINDS OF DETAIL that our eyes cannot see unaided.

Just to repeat:  If you're looking for any of those things you see in pictures online in your tank at home, I would reconsider your expectations.  👍

It's impossible to tell what your tank looks like from the pic you posted – too blue-washed.  (Your camera phone's fault, not yours.)  But my guess is that your tank LOOKS GREAT in person.  Try to enjoy it and not compare it.  👌

I’d say that the perspective presented above is only half truth - yes, there are way too many tweaked photos out there. However, there are plenty of tanks that are colorful due to their lighting choices.  
you stated yourself above that spectrum difference "Tweaking the lighting profile" could bring out the different appearance of colors. So a more complete spectrum lighting will provide better color rendition for photography AND viewing pleasure.