Coral Vue Hydros

Newbie xenia question..

rhhd34

This pulsing frag has been in my tank about 3 weeks..a week or so ago the bumps started appearing on the stalk. Good thing? Bad thing? Just growing new branches? It seems happy, is spreading, pulsing like crazy, etc. Thanks for the help.

its just branching..it has established itself within your aquarium. Xenia takes about 1-2 weeks for it to adjust between different water parameters.

yup it would look cool. I just bought a rock of blue xenias for $7. They were kinda sick looking but i am hoping they will regrow in my tank, considering: a. no fish, and b. all my other corals are thriving. And if they do start to overtake, just prune them back. It doesnt happen overnight...

dude when my xenia gets a lil bigger and yours does too i would like to maybe trade u a frag of mine for a frag of yours i really like that color i haven't seen one like that yet

New pic? Gimme a few days. I had them low in the tank and as ETOH said, they were starting to creep up onto the adjacent rock. As much as I like them, I didn't want a 5.5 full of them. One arm/tentacle attached to a rock, and in 3 days that turned into a mini-colony of 8 polyps. No doubt the little buggers are multiplying as I type.

So, I took advice and moved them to the top of the rockwork. They were still a little pissy about it yesterday, but were starting to bounce back last night. Given the tenacity they've shown so far, I have no doubt they will recover. (I have another small colony aready established at the top, so I'm covered if they don't).

I'll update in a few days.

As far as a trade, most people say they don't ship well, but maybe we can try something in the future.

xenia is nothing for a nano... growing too fast... mine double sized itself in only 2 weeks... that means it was a quarter of my tank large... threw it out today...

xenia is nothing for a nano... growing too fast... mine double sized itself in only 2 weeks... that means it was a quarter of my tank large... threw it out today...

why did you throw it out? am sure someone would have wanted it

i had the same thing happen to my xenia, i had a fish that was pecking at them and where he pecked was where the bumps grew. They should be fine mine still do but it just looks like a nasty growth. Any fish in ur tink that might snap at it?

OK, here's a new pic 2 weeks later...I moved them to the top of the tank. The stalk on the left was always there, the 2 on the right are the same ones pictured before. They are "catching a wave" at the moment the pic was taken. Still growing too fast for my taste, may have to do something drastic...Anybody from Northern Illinois feel free to pm me if you want some...

I just get small pieces of LR from my LFS, then let the Xenias crawl up onto it. After there is a good establishment of them on the rock I take it back to the LFS and trade him for other corals! It benefits me and him. So, I guess that they can't grow fast enough for me!!

The Kenya Tree coral in the pic has been traded out for a Torch Coral since this pic.

nanosm1.jpg

Is there a coral that pulses like the xenia, but doesn't grow out of control like it? The closest thing I can think of is a toadstool leather, but that aint that close.

• 4 weeks later...

if it is a species that is intended to pulse, i would make sure that you alkalinity and ph levels are up to par. 8.0-8.3 and an alk of 4-6meq's. Mine had a tendency to slow down in the pulsating action to almost no pulse when my pH fell to 7.9 and alk was at 3meq's. A day later they were fine. Some say depleting iodine is another factor, but if you do weekly water changes with a reputable salt, that should not be a problem. Also, becuse they are new, they will take a while to establish themselves. Xenia is VERY finnicky...

Archived